Central District Second Division
Sat 12 November 2016
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Carluke started this match well as they tried to get successive victories for the first time this season and pressed their visitors back from the off.

The first effort on the Vale goal came as early as 40 seconds in to the match when Mark Haddow showed great strength to hold of his challenger but his parting shot was saved, then inside 10 mins a well worked low corner found Mark Weir but his net bound effort was blocked and the danger cleared by the visitors.

Carluke continued to be on the ascendancy and good build up play in the middle of the park allowed Haddow another chance on goal but his effort was tipped over by Morrison in the Leven goal.

Despite this good start Rovers found themselves behind in the 13th min when a harsh free kick was awarded 25 yards from goal and a good strike from Dolan made it 1-0 to the visitors.

Rovers did not allow the heads to go down after this setback however and Sam Biggart put a good ball in to the path of Ian Watt but after beating his marker Watt’s strike was just wide of goal.

The same player had an excellent chance to level the scores in the 27th min when his good run on the right ended with a shot that went just wide of the far post.

The home side were not to be denied for too long though and a good corner from Weir in the 30th min found Chick McCole at the back post, his header was not cleared by the Vale defence and Jonny Wilson was quickest to react and a cool finish through a ruck of players made the score 1-1.

Rovers were well on top at this point and Greg Fernie set strike partner Watt free on the right but his low ball across goal was cut out by the Leven keeper.

Rovers took the lead for the first time in the match in 32 mins when Biggart sent a great ball through to Watt who beat his marker in a challenge for the ball before bearing down on goal and lifting an excellent finish over the advancing keeper to make it 2-1.

Rovers passed up a couple of chances to increase this lead ass half time approached when first Fernie saw a chance go a-begging before Haddow set Stuart Mitchell a chase on the right wing and his great ball to the back post found Watt but somehow the striker managed to put the ball over the bar when it looked easier to score.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 1 Vale of Leven.

Carluke did not start the second half with anything like the pace of the first and paid the price for this when the lost an equalising goal for the second time in the match when a mix up between keeper Gordon Bruce and Reece Lowdon allowed Clark in on goal before he scored from a tight angle to make it 2-2.

The match went through a quiet spell after this goal with chances few and far between ffor either side until Carluke upped the pace in the last 20 mins, first to have a chance was Weir with a good effort from a free kick but an equally good save kept him at bay.

The home side then racked up a host of chances as they looked to grab all three points first came in 77 mins when Haddow set up Fernie inside the penalty area but his effort was blocked then cleared then sub Jordan Duncan set Watt free on the right and after beating two opponents he put a great low ball in to the path of Lewis McDougall but the strikers effort came back off the base of the post before being cleared.

Just as the match looked to be ending in a draw Carluke took the lead in the 94th min when good work on the left allowed Wilson to cut inside and get the ball on to his right foot before striking the ball well but his effort looked to be going wide before Fernie was quickest to react and divert the ball in to the Vale net for his fourth goal in two matches to give the home side the lead at 3-2.

The match looked to be over but in fact it was Vale of Leven who had the last chance from a header from a corner but Bruce cleared the danger and the final whistle eventually blew.

This was another fine win for Carluke as they look at last to try to climb the league table.

Rovers team.
Bruce, Wilson, Lowdon, Renwick, Biggart, Mitchell(McDougall), McCole, Haddow, Weir(Duncan) Fernie, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin