exselgroup Sectional League Cup
Wed 17 August 2016
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

Rovers travelled the short distance to Newmains for this League Cup tie and put in by far their best performance of the early stages of the season so far.

Carluke were on the front foot from the start with Mark Weir and Jonny Wilson combining well on the left to set up Lewis McDougall but the end finish was poor and easily saved.

The visitors took the lead in the 7th min when Chick McCole charged down an attempted Newmains clearance before rounding the keeper and slotting home for a deserved 1-0 lead.

Rovers were controlling big parts of the game and Ian Watt set Stuart Mitchell free on the right but after cutting in to the box his end shot was well saved.

Newmains showed an interest in getting back in to the game for a short spell and a well worked move ended with a strong header that was well saved by Daniel Tobin in the Rovers goal.

Carluke were stung in to action by this and McCole produced a good run down the right but his ball flashed across the Utd goal without any takers, a minute later though Rovers did double their lead when a great ball from McDougall set Mitchell free on the right and after outstripping hius marker he fired home an unstoppable shot for 2-0 to Carluke.

The visitors were denied what looked to be a stonewall penalty in 40 mins when Wilson was barged off the ball before the last action of the half fell to Newmains when a free kick was headed over the Rovers bar to give a half time score of
Newmains Utd 0 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw Rovers continue to press their hosts back and the first chances were produced when Watt saw a clever dink well saved by the home keeper at the expense of a corner which he played in with Reece Loudon rising highest but his header was just over the Utd bar.

Great work on the Rovers left hand side produced the move of the match with some first time passing before Wilson was free on the left but his low ball in to the box was cut out by the Newmains defence.Watt put in an excellent free kick in 58 mins with Mark Haddow being on the end of it but as with Loudons header earlier it was over the Newmains bar.
Watt had a great net bound effort met by an equally good save from the Utd keeper as Carluke looked to increase their lead before Jordan Duncan and weir linked to set up Mitchell but again his ball across goal found no takers.

Watt was again thwarted by the home keeper in the 65th min as he looked certain to increase Rovers lead before a rare Utd break saw Tobin tip a net bound effort over the bar at the other end.

Rovers finally increased their lead to three in the 75th min when a Mitchell cut back returned the favour of earlier when he found McDougall and his tap in made it 3-0, this was quickly followed by Watt beating three defenders before chipping a superb goal to make it 4-0 to the visitors.

The last action of the match came when Greg Fernie who had replaced McDougall in Rovers attack controlled a good ball in to his path before unleashing a fantastic shot that was well saved by the home keeper.

Final Score Newmains Utd 0 v 4 Carluke Rovers

Rovers Team.
Tobin, Duncan, Loudon, Renwick, Weir(Linn), Mitchell(Hamilton), McCole, Haddow, Wilson, McDougall(Fernie), Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin