Central District First Division
Sat 1 November 2014
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report

Carluke burst in to action in this game playing down the Gow slope, they created their first chance inside 2 mins when Gordon Murphy set Craig Stewart free on the right and his excellent cut back found Ian Watt but the striker blazed the ball over the bar.

The deadlock was broken by the Rovers in 16 mins when Mark Weir found himself free on the left of midfield and he unleashed an unstoppable shot from 25 yards that flew in to the roof of the Gow net for 1-0 to Carluke.

Carluke continued to press and good work a couple of minutes later saw Jonny Wilson have a shot saved then Stewart was unlucky to see his effort also well saved.

The visitors doubled their lead in 25 mins when Watt has a shot saved at the expense of a corner which when played in fell kindly for Mark Haddow who stabbed the ball home for 2-0.

The home side got a foothold in the match in the 35th min when Rovers lost a challenge on the edge of the penalty area with the ball dropping on the edge of the box and an excellent shot beat Jonny Grier in the Rovers goal to make the score 2-1.

Things almost got better for the Gow a couple of minutes later when with Carluke looking for offside they played on and only a good save from Grier kept the visitors lead intact.

With half time approaching Murphy played a good ball to Watt who looked up before hitting a fantastic shot from fully 30 yards that again beat the home keeper for another excellent goal that gave a half time score of Lesmahagow 1 v 3 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw the Gow have a good bit of pressure early on but it was Carluke who created the first chance of the half in 54 mins when Murphy again fed Watt and his good control set up a chance but the parting shot went well over the bar.

Rovers paid for this miss when good work by the home side a couple of minutes later got them a second goal, Lesmahagow worked the ball well across the park before another shot from distance beat Grier to make the score 3-2.
Rovers fought hard to restore their two goal cushion and from a corner Dean Kindlan saw a headed effort saved before he was set up a minute later by Watt but his shot went wide of the target.

Again Rovers were made to pay a price for these missed chances when they lost possession in the 71st minute and Lesmahagow broke down the right before the ball, was squared across goal and was tapped in to the Rovers goal to level the scores at 3-3.

The home side were well on top at this point and their cause seemed to be helped in the 75th min when Murphy was shown a straight red card after kicking out at an opponent.

Lesmahagow pressed Carluke back but could not get in front for the first time in the match and the visitors knew there was always a chance to get back in to the match because of this.

Carluke were forced in to a change late in the match when Wilson went off and Watt went to the right side of midfield and this saw an increase in their attacking down that side.

As the match drew to a close both Ryan Smillie and Watt had efforts blocked by the Gow defence before the chance of the match fell to Kindlan who was free 12 yards out but his placed shot was saved by the feet of the home keeper in the second minute of stoppage time.

That looked to have sealed the match as a draw but in the 4th minute of stoppage time Watt was set free down the right and worked his way in to the Gow penalty area before laying the ball back in to the path of Smillie who drove the ball home to spark scenes of delirium on the Rovers side as he made the score 4-3.

The match was restarted but the referee blew the final whistle seconds later and Rovers recorded their first win of the season