New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup
Sat 15 October 2016
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

An excellent performance but ultimately a defeat was the outcome for Carluke on Saturday as they ran their Super Premier League opponents close.

Carluke started the match confidently but lost a goal after only 6 mins when a through ball landed between the defence and keeper Gordon Bruce and Dallas nipped in to make it 1-0 to the home side.

Before the Rovers could get their breath back they fell further behind when a dubious corner was played in to the near post before being scrambled clear by the Carluke defence for another corner which was again played in low with Rovers not reacting quickly enough and the ball was squeezed home by McCann for 2-0.

Rovers first chance of note came a few minutes later when a ball in from Sam Biggart on the left was put in to the Glens net by Ian Watt but he was ruled off side, Rovers next chance was created on the right this time when Stuart Mitchell this time set Watt free but his cut back was put out for a corner, when this came in Greg Fernie played the ball in to the path of Mark Haddow but his effort was high over the home bar.

Glens continued to show they were dangerous going forward and with the Carluke defence looking for an off side that did not come it took an excellent save from Bruce to keep the score at 2-0.

Rovers created another good opportunity with 30 mins gone when Haddow was free on the left before playing an excellent ball in to the path of Watt but the strikers foot caught in the turf and the chance was lost, the last chance of the half saw Fernie play the ball back in to Scott Burns but as with Haddow earlier his shot was well over the home bar.

Half Time Glenafton Ath 2 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke started the second half well and when Watt was brought down on the left Mark Weir put a great ball in to the back post but Burns just missed the chance.

Carluke pulled a goal back with another good move down the right when good work between Mitchell and Chick McCole ended with the ball played wide to Burns, his cross was met at the back post by a great downward header from Watt to make the score 2-1.

Better was to follow for Rovers in the 55th min when they worked a good short corner on the right ending with a Burns shot being blocked with the ball spinning to the back post where Fernie was on hand to stab the ball home for 2-2 to silence the home support.

Carluke were playing some good football by this time and with an hour gone their next chance fell to Weir but his free kick was well saved then Watt was set up by McCole but his effort was well wide of the Glens goal.

Rovers were dealt a hammer blow in the 85th min though when a ball was played in to the path of McCann who beat Bruce for a second time in the match to put the home side 3-2 up in what was a rare second half attack.

Carlukes final chance came in the 88th min when a free kick was headed on by Haddow to Watt but his effort was well saved to secure a home victory.

Rovers Team.
Bruce, Burns, Lowdon, Renwick, Biggart, Mitchell, McCole, Haddow, Weir, Watt, Fernie.

Match Report by Craig Martin