Central District Second Division
Sat 8 October 2016
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

In a poor match Lanark left it late to snatch a point in this local derby at John Cumming Stadium on Saturday when they scored with virtually the last kick of the match two and a half minutes in to stoppage time.

The home side had the best opening in the early stages when former Lanark man Stuart Mitchell was set free on goal by Ian Watt but he put his shot wide of the target with only the keeper to beat in the 3rd min this was quickly followed by good build up work allowing Jonny Wilson a shot that was well over the Lanark cross bar.

A Mark Weir free kick found the head of Mark Haddow in the 7th min but his effort was easily saved by the Lanark Keeper.
Lanarks best early chance came in 9 mins when a good move on the left ended with a shot in to the Carluke side netting, they were not to be denied for too long though and took the lead in the 14th min when they broke down the right and a cut back was driven home for 1-0 to the visitors.

Carluke got back on level terms with their first piece of link up play midway through the half when Haddow and Mitchell worked well together before Mitchell played a good low ball across goal for Watt to stab home for 1-1.

The game lost a bit of momentum from this point until another good move set Mitchell free but his final effort was cut out by the Lanark defence.

Lanark had a couple of long range efforts as the half drew to a close but none troubled Dan Tobin in the home goal.

The best chance to go in front fell to the home side in the 43rd min when a Weir free kick was headed just wide by Haddow.

Half time Carluke Rovers 1 v 1 Lanark United.

The second half was very much stop start with both sides struggling to put together any decent moves but in 60 min Sam Biggart did set Watt free but again his shot was saved by the visiting keeper.

The home side had another half chance to go in front when good work on the left ended with a ball towards Weir but his chipped effort was past both the Utd keeper and the far post.

The home side did however take the lead at last when an excellent quick throw in from Watt found strike partner Mitchell who rode a tackle inside the box before going past the keeper and scoring from the tightest of angles for 2-1 in 66 mins.

The remainder of the match was wholly forgettable until Lanark stole the ball in midfield in the 91st min and broke on the left but Tobin pulled off an excellent save at the expense of a corner, when this was played in the Rovers defence had three or four chances to get the ball clear but none were taken and a low shot was struck home to give a final score of 2-2.

Rovers Team.
Tobin, Bellew, Lowdon, Renwick, Biggart, Wilson, McCole, Haddow, Weir(Burns), Watt, Mitchell(Gordon).

Match Report by Craig Martin