Central District First Division
Sat 5 March 2016
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

Carluke travelled to Denny for this league match and came away with three good points for the third season in a row after an at times hard fought battle.

Rovers put in some hard work early on as they got to grips with the heavy park and their first effort came from this hard work when Mark Weir saw his shot from distance go just wide of goal.

Rovers were dealt a blow in the 8th min when Jamie Dickson pulled up with a hamstring injury with this allowing a debut for Ryan McGoldrick as his replacement with the new signing coping well with his part in the game.

Carlukes best early chance came when Weir found Ian Watt with a pinpoint pass but with Watt bearing down on goal a fine last ditch challenge robbed him of a chance on goal.

Carluke were fairly well on top at this point and forced a corner in 23 mins but Stevie Murray saw his effort go just over the bar from Weirs flag kick.

Rovers thought they had taken the lead in the 31st min when good work on the right between Scott Bellew, Jonny Wilson and Ryan Smillie won another corner and Murray was again on hand after Mark Haddows effort had been blocked but with most of the visitors thinking he had scored the home keeper somehow got a block on the ball to keep the scores level.

The visitors were not to be denied for too long though as yet another Weir corner again found Murray and again his header was blocked but this time by the home right backs hand seeing him ordered off and a penalty to Rovers which Weir despatched to make it 1-0 to Carluke.

As half time approached Haddow was brought down in the middle of the park with Weir playing the resultant kick to Watt on the right, he cut infield before hitting a shot towards goal which was played in to his own net by an unfortunate Dunipace defender to give Carluke a 2-0 half time lead.

The second half saw Carluke start slowly before they finally got back on top with Wilson and Smillie linking well to set up Watt in 53 mins but his effort was just wide of goal again.

Rovers third goal came in the 63rd min when they won a free kick left of the Dunipace penalty area and Watt placed an excellent shot over the wall and in to the Dunipace net for 3-0.

Carluke controlled the rest of the match creating good chances for Watt and Smillie before they rounded off the scoring in the 72nd min when McGoldrick set Watt free on the left and after cutting in again Watt placed another excellent shot past the home keeper for 4-0.

Haddow was unlucky not to get on the score sheet as the match drew to a close seeing a net bound volley blocked and a header from the corner well saved to deny him.

This was an excellent victory for Carluke against a side who recorded their only league win at Carluke earlier in the season, the match also saw a return to action after five months for Wullie Soutar after his serious knee injury.

Carluke team.
Grier, Bellew, Murray, Soutar(Stark), Haddow, Dickson(McGoldrick), McCole, Wilson, Weir(Reid), Watt, Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin