Central District First Division
Sat 15 November 2014
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Another defeat at home for Rovers sees them still sit uncomfortably at the wrong end of the table.

Rovers started the match fairly well with Jonny Wilson creating a chance early on with a cut back from the right but there were no takers and the ball was cleared.

Rovers were dealt a blow in the 10th min when Mark Weir had to come off with a hamstring injury but his replacement Jamie Dickson was involved in the action right away setting Wilson in on goal but his shot was well over the bar.

The 22nd min saw Ian Watt and Ryan Smillie link up well on the right but Watt’s final shot was saved by the visiting keeper.

The deadlock was broken by Blantyre in the 23rd min when a soft free kick was awarded to them and a high ball in found their centre forward who glanced the ball home for 1-0.

Rovers keeper Jonny Grier gave away a penalty in the 32nd min when he tripped the Blantyre scorer but he redeemed himself with an excellent save to keep the score at 1-0.

The scores were level in 37 mins when Dean Kindlan was brought down on the right and a perfect ball in by Watt was met by an even better header from Mark Haddow to make the score 1-1.

Things got even better for the home side a couple of minutes later when Wilson played Smillie clear on the left and as he went in to the Vics penalty area he was brought down at the expense of a penalty kick which was converted by Smillie for 2-1 to the Rovers.

Blantyre scorned an excellent chance to level the scores in first half stoppage time when they missed an open goal but Rovers held on to take a 2-1 lead in to the break.

The second half started briskly with Smillie having a chance early on but his effort was saved, then it was the turn of Grier in the home goal to bring off an excellent stop as he spread himself to keep a Vics effort out as they looked certain to score.

The visitors did get back on level terms though as they again took the aerial route as another high ball was headed home for 2-2 this after 51 mins.

Worse was to come for Rovers in 64 mins when a ball to the back post was cut back across goal and a tap in made the score 3-2.

Rovers huffed and puffed for the rest of the game but only had a Dean Kindlan effort that went just wide of the post to show for it and the match fizzled out to another costly defeat.

Carluke Rovers FCTeam LineupsTeams - Blantyre 100

1. Grier
2. Lithgow
3. Gow 
4. Napier 
5. Murray
6. Kindlan 
7. Wilson  
8. Haddow  
9. Watt  
10. Smillie  
11. Weir
12. Stewart  
14. Dickson  
15. Kindlan
16. Cavanagh
17. Barr 
1. Macklin
2. Christie
3. Amos
4. McShane
5. Hewitt
6. Lochhead
7. Gault
8. Green
9. Smith
10. Kirkwood
11. Malcolme
12. Gavin
14. Davies
15. Goodall
16. Caldwell
17. Mullen