West Region League Two
Sat 23 March 2019
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

Rovers hopes of securing the third promotion place in League 2 were left hanging by the finest if threads on Saturday as local rivals Lesmahagow left them battered bruised and bereft of any clear scoring chances in a dominant 90 minute display which dumped the home side to a dreary and disappointing 0-4 home defeat.

The visitors had Rovers on the ropes from kick off delivering a series of deep diagonal crosses from the right wing into the home sides penalty box which went largely unchallenged with the home keeper flapping at fresh air after three attempts at cutting out the danger.

The visitors opened the scoring after 5 minutes when a fourth deep cross was misjudged by the normally reliable and confident Dave Cherrie with the ball being headed home from close range.

Rovers went two behind after 15 minutes from a corner which was floated into a packed penalty box with Neil Schoenville prodding the loose ball home as Cherrie looked to have been impeded as he came to collect the ball.

Rovers nerves continued to show in their play throughout the remainder of the first half with anything positive coming from veteran Weir who hobbled off with an ankle injury after 25 minutes being replaced by Connor McDonald.

The visitors sheer desire to win coupled with their high tempo work rate both on and off the ball soffocated and suppressed anything Rovers attempted to create.

Half Time Rovers 0 Lesmahagow 2

A more determined Rovers emerged at the start of the second half with Larkin flashing a shot over the bar following some good work by Biggart down the right wing.

Unfortunately any hope of Rovers staging any resemblance of a recovery disappeared into the ether after 65 minutes when Cassidy was twice cautioned for a double dose of dissent towards the referee and received his marching orders.

Two final nails in Carlukes coffin were hammered home in the last ten minutes when Chris Jarvie bagged a brace ending a miserable day for the Rovers.

Match Report by Ian McKnight