Central District First Division
Sat 8 February 2014
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Carluke hosted fellow promotion hopefuls Neilston on Saturday and were on the end of the narrowest of defeats due to a soft penalty awarded in the second half.

The game was end to end early on without either side fashioning a chance of note although slack marking by Carluke allowed the first chance to Neilston but it was put past the post in 7 mins.

Carluke made their first chance when Ian Watt forced a corner but as this was played In to the back post Davy Gray headed wide of the target.

The game continued to be open and Mark Weir set up Watt in the 25th min but his effort was well saved while Neilston had their best chance when a break down the left caught Rovers out but Gavin McLachlan saved well with the rebound again being put past the post.

The home side had a couple of chances from free kicks on the run up to half time but neither of these were finished off and the half time score was 0-0.

The second half saw Rovers almost caught napping but McLachlan saved well and the loose ball was cleared before watt again had a chance in the 47th min but his effort was wide of the target.

Rovers carved out an opening in 58 mins when Watt linked up with Stevie Murray who in turn set up John Kane but his pass to Dean Kindlan saw the midfielder blast the ball high and wide of the Neilston goal.

In the 60th min Neilston broke down the right and as their forward reached the Rovers penalty area Mark Haddow slid in to try to clear the danger but despite getting a clear touch on the ball a penalty was awarded to Neilston which despite the best efforts of McLachlan who went the right way in his efforts to save, the kick crept in at the keepers left hand post.

The match never really got going for Rovers after this goal although they did have a few chances on the Neilston goal the best of which came in the 85th min with a move that swept right through the Rovers midfield before being switched from right to left for the onrushing Gordon Murphy but his effort went just wide of the target.

Rovers forced a corner just after this which saw Gray have a header cleared at the near post and this proved to be the last action of note of the match.