Mon 3 February 2014
Score: 6 - 2

Match Report

On a cold night for football Carluke served up a bit of cheer for the hardy bunch who came to watch this “friendly” match that at one point threatened to get out of control.

The first half saw Carluke attack in to a strong wind but this did not seem to deter them as they took the match to their local rivals, they had half chances early on as Mark Weir and Stuart Arnott linked up well but these came to nothing but they did take the lead in the 14th min when a ball in to the Gow box was knocked on by Mark Haddow for Arnott and after waltzing round a defender he rattled the ball home for 1-0.

This lead however did not last too long as a slack ball from defence by Andy Barr allowed Lesmahagow to attack down the right and a low driven shot made it 1-1.

As seems to be the case lately in these Monday night matches between these two sides the goals came thick and fast with Rovers taking the lead after 22 mins when Stephen Ferguson chased down what looked to be a lost cause ball before Arnott earned a corner, the corner was played in by John Kane and his excellent ball was met by the head of ex Gow man Scott McGeachie who made it 2-1 to the home side.

26 mins saw the Rovers stretch this lead further when a free kick in to the Gow area was cleared to Weir and his cross in was played on by Haddow in to the path of Ferguson who hammered home for 3-1.

The home sides good scoring form continued a few minutes later when excellent work from Ferguson set up strike partner Arnott who coolly finished at the back post for a 4-1 half time score to the rampant Rovers.

The second half saw The Gow get a few chances early on the best of which fell to Stuart Grant who saw his effort come back off the post before being cleared, then Chris Jarvie brought out a save from Gavin McLachlan on thee hour mark.

Normal service was resumed in the 68th min though when Gary Frame set the ball up for Arnott who’s deft flick set Ian Watt free and after beating two Gow defenders he hit a fantastic shot high over the Gow keeper for 5-1.

Gow got a goal back in the 71st min to make the score 5-2 but the final action of the match came with the best goal of the night in the 88th min when Watt won a challenge just inside the Gow half and with a great burst of pace he left his marker before hitting an unstoppable shot high in to the net to round of the scoring at 6-2.