Mon 10 February 2014
Score: 5 - 4

Match Report

Despite racing in to a 5-1 lead just after half time Carluke Rovers had to settle for the narrowest of victories after late errors cost them three goals.

The visiting Thorniewood side went up by 1-0 after 2 mins when a low driven shot was spilled by Craig Brown and Thoriewood were quickest to the rebound to tap home for an early lead. Carluke did however settle after this set back and a good move involving Darren Hamilton and John Kane allowed the inrushing Scott McGeachie to strike home at the back post but his effort was ruled out for off side.

The home side did level the match however in the 22nd min when another good passing move ended with the ball on the right with Dean Kindlan and his cross was met by Stephen Ferguson at the back post to slot home for 1-1.

The possession was even for a while with both sides making and missing chances the best of which fell to Thorniewood but Andy Barr was on hand to clear a net bound shot off the line to leave the scores level.

As half time approached Carluke grabbed the match by the scruff of the neck with Ferguson linking up with Hamilton for the latter to finish well for 2-1 to the Rovers in 38 mins then they stretched the lead further with a fantastic goal when Barr linked up with Craig Stark before setting Gordon Murphy free on the left he in turn fed Hamilton whose perfect lay back found McGeachie ready to strike a low drive in to the net for 3-1.

This lead was stretched even further in the 45th minute when Murphy played in an excellent ball for Kindlan to give a 4-1 half time lead for the home side.

The second half saw Carluke keep up the pressure on Thorniewood despite a few changes to the side and Ferguson was unlucky to see his shot well saved after a good run in 46 mins but he was not to be denied for too long when a good ball through the Thorniewood defence found him and he took the ball to the left of the goal before firing home for 5-1 to the home side.

This should have been enough to see Rovers go on to win comfortably but too many slips through the side allowed Thorniewood to score three late goals to give a final score of 5-4 to the home Rovers side.