Central District Second Division
Sat 18 March 2017
Score: 4 - 0

Match Report

After successive league defeats this was a must win match for Carluke to maintain any chance at all for promotion this season.

The Rovers got off to the best possible start when almost from the kick off Mark Weir fed a good ball down the left to Ian Watt who cut infield before seeing a gap and firing a low shot home for 1-0 after all of 14 seconds for the home sides fastest goal of the season.

Carluke created another chance in three mins when the same two players linked up but this time Watt’s shot was saved by the Ants keeper.

The visitors had a chance to level the score in the 13th min when a corner was headed goalwards but Rovers keeper Dan Tobin brought off a good save to keep their lead intact.

Chances were few and far between in the first half but Rovers produces the next couple with the first falling to Lewis McDougall after a corner but his net bound effort was deflected past the post, then another effort was well saved to keep the lead at only one.

The last effort of the half came the way of visitors when they had a header go well over th bar to give a score of 1-0 at the break.

The second half was only minutes old when Carluke eventually did double their lead when a low ball was put wide to Watt who drove toward goal past two opponents before firing a low shot from 25 yards to make it 2-0 to the home side.

This lead was increased further a few minutes later when good build up play from Jonny Wilson allowed him to find Watt on the edge of the Ants box but as he looked to have lost his chance he back heeled a great ball in to the path of Weir who hammered the ball home for 3-0.

Tobin in the home goal did have to bring off another good save on the hour mark but that was probably the last decent effort the visitors had before the home side took control of the latter stages of the match,

The final goal of the match came in the 66th min when Mark Haddow was brought down on the edge of the Ants penalty area and Watt put in an excellent free kick that hit the post before glancing off the Ants keeper and finding the net for 4-0.

Carluke pressed to try to increase this lead further with Watt setting up chances first for Greg Fernie then for McDougall but both efforts were saved to give a final score of Carluke Rovers 4 v 0 St Anthony’s.

Rovers team.
Tobin , Wilson, Biggart, Lowdon, Gow, McDougall, Vezza, Haddow(Lynn), Weir(McCole), Fernie(Janetta), Watt

Match Report by Craig Martin