Euroscot Eng Central League Cup
Sat 5 April 2014
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Euroscot Engineering Central League Cup Round 2
Carluke Rovers 2 v 2 Cumbernauld Utd (Cumbernauld win 4-2 on pens)

Carluke paid a heavy price for missed chances on Saturday in this league cup tie as they let a two goal lead slip and eventually lost this tie on penalty kicks.

Rovers started this match well an took an early lead when Craig Stark set a ball in to the path of striker Ian Watt who chested the ball down intending to control the ball but this touch was enough to see the ball past the Utd keeper and in to the net for 1-0 to the home side.

This lead was doubled a couple of minutes later when great work from Gordon Murphy on the left saw him cut inside and let fly with a great shot that was blocked by the Utd keeper but Murphy fought well to recover the ball and put in a great cross that was met by a header from Watt for his and Carlukes second goal of the match for 2-0.

The same pairing linked up again in the next attack for Rovers when Murphy set Watt free on the right but his effort was high over the Cumbernauld bar.

A rare attack from Cumbernauld came after 22mins when after a bit of pressure they broke on the right but the final low shot was well saved by Gavin McLachlan in the home goal.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 0 Cumbernauld Utd

The start of the second half saw Rovers try to increase their lead as they went on the attack right away when Dean Kindlan set Watt free on the right but his shot was well saved only for the ball to fall to Murphy who saw his effort blocked before Watt saw a final effort go right across goal before going out for a goal kick to Utd.

Cumbernauld began to get in to the match and won a free kick on thee left which when put in found the head of their centre half who looked to have scored but McLachlan brought off a fine save to keep Rovers lead at 2-0.

The 50th min saw Utd break again on the right of the Carluke goal but a timely block by Stevie Murray forced the ball out for a corner, this was scrambled clear by Rovers for another corner that ended in fact with four corners that Rovers had to defend, from the last one Rovers broke on the right through Watt who cut the ball back but a right foot effort from Murphy slipped just past the post as another chance went a-begging.

Carluke looked to have got a foot hold back in the match as they contained Cumbernauld but missed another chance to finish them off in the 65th min when Kindlan set Watt free on the left and then got on the end of the strikers cross with a great header that looked net bound but an equally good save from the visiting keeper turned the ball away for a corner.

The match turned in Cumbernauld’s favour in the 70th min when Murray was harshly adjudged to have brought down his opponent in the penalty area then even more harshly sent off for this, Utd scored from this penalty for 2-1 then set about making use of the extra man.

McLachlan made another good save in the 73rd min as Cumbernauld broke then looked to have done the same in the 74th min getting a strong hand to a shot from the left but the effort crept in to the net for 2-2.

The last action of the match saw Scott McGeachie make a great block as Utd pressed for a winner then McLachlan made another save in the final minute to take the match to penalties.

The penalties proved to be an anti-climax for The Rovers as misses from Kindlan and Stark proved costly despite Murphy and Craig Stewart scoring from spot as Cumbernauld put in four excellent kicks to win the shoot out 4-2.