Saltcoats Victoria FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

WOSFL - Division Three
Sat 27 May 2023
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

The Rovers travelled to the Ayrshire coast on a gloriously sunny day for their final game of the season. Their opponents were fellow relegated club Saltcoats Victoria.

As the first half kicked off the visitors were hopeful that they could replicate the 5-1 score line of from the last game the two teams met. Just 3 weeks ago.

As the game progressed it was Saltcoats who were more creative and if they had been able to find the target with some of their attempts on goal then the outcome of the game may have been different.

As it was, it was the Rovers who had the best chance of the first half. The giant Saltcoats number 5, Patrick, had been easily clearing balls into the box throughout the game, however as the half drew to a close Carluke’s Lawlor had possession in the box and moved the ball too quickly passed the big centre half who brought him done on the penalty spot. When Lawlor stepped up to take the spot kick hopes were high that the Rovers would go in one up at half time. Unfortunately, despite an excellent strike the 17-year-old Saltcoats keeper, Johnston, was able to push the ball onto the right hand upright and the ball was cleared to safety by his defenders.

HT Saltcoats 0 – 0 Rovers

The second half had had barely got under way when the hosts scored to take the lead, when number 11 Bell fired a shot passed the Carluke goalkeeper.

However, their lead didn’t take last long. On 52 minutes Brandon McKenzie controlled the ball on the left side of the Saltcoats box and fired a left foot shot past the keeper just inside left hand post to level the scores.

On the hour Greg Miller was brought on for McKenzie and within minutes had picked up a through ball just inside the Saltcoats box. He casually rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the net to give the Rovers the lead.
The hosts continued to press for an equaliser but were thwarted by an excellent save from McGill in the Rovers goal.
Miller added to his goal tally when he scored the visitors third goal. A free kick was awarded to the Rovers in the middle of the Saltcoats half. Miller’s 25 yard strike into the top left-hand corner gave the Vics keeper no chance of keeping it out.

As the game drew to a close the Rovers added to their tally when the impressive Miller managed to dribble past several defenders on the goal line just outside the hosts left hand upright. With only the keeper to beat for his hattrick, he unselfishly passed to the youngster Callum Hume, who tapped in for Rovers fourth goal.

FT Saltcoats 1 – 4 Rovers

Next season the Rovers will start in Division 4, but before then they will receive their SFA National Club licence. So, for first time in their 136 year history, they will be eligible to play in the senior Scottish Cup.

Our thanks go to all who supported the club this year as we worked towards this goal.

Photography by Kevin Ramage