Central District Second Division
Sat 16 September 2017
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Rovers played local rivals Lanark in this derby match but never really got started until far too late and the home side deservedly won the three points on offer giving Carluke their first league defeat of the season in the process.

After a slow start from both sides Lanark took the lead in the 8th min when Rovers lost possession in the middle of the park and a ball out to the left found Rovers short at the back with Aldin El Zoubaidi no match for the pace of Kearney who bore down on the Carluke goal and struck a low shot to open the scoring .

Lanark were well on top at this point and they had a couple of shots from distance that were deflected wide of target fortunately for Carluke only facing corners from both.

Carlukes first effort came mid way through the half when quick play in the middle allowed the ball out to James Martin on the left but his shot lacked power and was easily dealt with, the same player had another chance in the 24th min when he cut inside his marker but again his end shot was saved.

Lanark should have doubled their lead in the 32nd min when good work on the left allowed a cut back in to the path of their centre forward but somehow he hit the bar with the goal gaping.

With half time approaching Carluke fashioned another rare chance when Ian Watt worked his way along the edge of the Lanark penalty area but again his parting shot was weak and easily saved.

Half time Lanark Utd 1 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke came in to the match a bit more in the second half gaining a few corners early on but they could not take advantage of any of them with poor delivery being the biggest problem.

In 49 mins Martin put in another strong run before feeding Watt on the right but the strikers shot went across goal narrowly missing the target.

Lanark continued to hit on the break and they created a couple of scares when good passing from defence saw them cause problems with their pace up front and Carluke were fortunate to keep it at only 1-0.

Watt continued to be the most likely source of a goal for Rovers and he had yet another effort saved with little trouble in the 70th min.

Carluke had made changes as the half wore on and it was two of them who combined to set up a good chance when Greg Kane worked the ball well on the right and his ball across goal broke for Mark Cassidy but his snap shot was just wide of the target.

Lanark produced the sucker punch in the 85th min when they won a free kick on the right and a perfectly placed effort beat Ryan Lawrie in the visitors goal for 2-0.

Rovers did have the last say in the match when a great Crossfield ball from Mark Weir found Watt on the right and he cut inside leaving defenders in his wake before shooting home for what proved to be a consolation goal in the 95th min, Carluke did throw caution to the wind at this point but therte was nothing that troubled the home goal and the match finished with a home win.

Rovers Team.
Lawrie, Renwick, Lambie, El Zoubaidi, Biggart, Lowdon(Kane), Haddow, Vezza(Weir), Martin, Halley(Cassidy), Watt

Match Report by Craig Martin