Central District Second Division
Sat 22 April 2017
Score: 6 - 3

Match Report

The home side started this match on the front foot creating chances from the off, in only the 2nd minute Mark Haddow was upended in midfield and when the free kick was played in Greg Fernie was well placed at the back post to get a shot away that went just over the bar.

Fernie was not to be denied for long though as a couple of minutes later he was at the heart of the move that brought the opening goal when he won a throw in on the Rovers right taking it himself and playing a quick one two before cutting infield and placing a great shot high in to the net for 1-0.

Rovers doubled this lead in the 13th min when Keeper Dan Tobin played a quick ball out to Mark Weir and his link up with Fernie allowed Weir free on the left and his perfect low cross was struck home sweetly by top scorer Ian Watt for 2-0.

The home side continued to dominate with debut man Scott Tart setting Fernie free but the move broke down before a Sam Biggart cross was headed just wide by Alberto Vezza as Rovers looked to increase their lead.

This lead was in fact increased in the 31st min when Vezza broke up a Thistle attack before setting Fernie free again and his cross to Watt was driven home for a deserved 3-0 lead.

The chance of a clean sheet was lost when a slack pass from Biggart allowed thistle to break on the left and a deep cross was headed home for 3-1, this led to a wee stutter for the home side with a free kick coming close for EK before Rovers wrapped up the first half scoring in 39 mins when Vezza set the ball in to the path of Watt and a fine finish across the keeper from 25 yards gave him his hat-trick to give a half time score of Carluke Rovers 4 v 1 East Kilbride Thistle.

The second half started badly for Carluke when Stevie Murray was ordered off in 47 mins for a last man challenge and after a quick reshuffle putting Haddow in to the centre of defence it was him who was on hand to block a net bound effort in 49 mins.

Rovers had a couple of good chances to increase their lead but it was in fact EK Thistle who scored next in 60 mins when they cut Carluke open down the right before a good cross was headed home for 4-2.

Carluke gave a debut to local lad Callum Neill who replaced Tart in 65 mins and he was only on the park 5 mins when he increased the home side lead, he started the move on the right and played a good ball in to Fernie who had an excellent strike well saved but the loose ball fell to Neill who fired the ball high in to the net with a controlled finish from 14 yards for 5-2.

Despite having a man less Carluke continued to be dominant with Chick McCole setting Weir free for the next chance but a fine save kept him at bay then Fernie was unlucky to two efforts in quick succession blocked away for corners.

The home sides final goal came in the 89 min when Watt and Fernie linked up well again before Watts cut back was placed low in to the net by Fernie for 6-2.

EK scored with the last kick of the match with a fine goal from distance to make it 6-3 but it was too little too late as Carluke had long since secured thee points.

Carluke Team
Tobin, Wilson, Murray, Lowdon, Biggart, Vezza(McCole), Tart(Neill), HAddow, Weir(Lynn), Fernie, Watt

Match Report by Craig Martin