Euroscot Engineering League Cup Section
Tue 12 August 2014
Score: 6 - 2

Match Report

Carluke gained a bit of revenge for their Clydesdale Cup defeat at the hands of Forth Wanderers with this victory at John Cumming Stadium but as usual they had to do it the hard way after having a player ordered off after 32 mins.

Carluke started this match well as they had done on Saturday against Newmains and took the lead after only 5 mins with another goal for captain stevie Murray.

Rovers won a free kick on the right which was put in to the Wanderers box by Johnny Wilson, Murray met the cross with a fine header for 1-0 to the home side.

Carluke tried to press home this advantage and won another free kick on 8 mins which was well struck low to the keepers left by Ian Watt but a good save kept the advantage at 1-0.

Rovers paid for this miss when in the 15th min Forth broke down the left and a low cross somehow found the back post to be knocked home for 1-1.

Watt almost put the home side in front in 26 mins when he whipped in a corner from the right but the visiting keeper scrambled the ball away for another corner, Rovers were not to be denied for too long though as they regained the lead in the 31st min when keeper Sid Leishman put a good ball to Watt on the right and his low driven cross was met by strike partner Ryan Smillie who drove the ball home for 2-1.

This should have been the start of a spell of Rovers pressure but they themselves were put under pressure when Dean Kindlan was ordered off a minute later for a second caution both of which came for his reaction after being brought down and both of which looked very harsh.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 1 Forth Wanderers

The early part of the second half saw Forth try to press home their extra man advantage and they drew level in the 53rd min when a lucky break on the left allowed them in to the Rovers box and they made no mistake with a low finish for 2-2.

Forth tried to press the home side back but they finally got on top of the match and regained the lead for the third time in the 60th min when a loose ball fell to watt about 30 yards from goal and his low drive beat the Forth keeper for 3-2 to the Rovers.

Despite the man less Carluke dominated what was left of the match carving out good chances as they went with good moves from right through the side with Watt’s shot from 25 yards coming back off the bar being the best of them.

Rovers stretched their lead in the 78th min when Daniel Kindlan won a corner after good work on the right and Mark Weir put in an excellent ball which Mark Haddow headed home at the back post to give the home side a two goal advantage at 4-2.

The lead was stretched further in the 83rd min when a great ball from Daniel Kindlan found Smillie and despite the visiting keeper looking to be favourite Smillie closed him down and was rewarded for his efforts when the loose ball fell to him and he scored from a tight angle for 5-2.

The final goal of a good performance came in the 86th min when Haddow was upended just outside the Forth penalty area, Watt lined up for what looked like a shot on goal but he instead chipped a great finish which seemed to deceive all but him in the ground before it sailed almost in slow motion in to the Forth net for 6-2.

Carluke had one final chance when Daniel Kindlan cut in from the right and let fly with a great shot from 20 yards that crashed off the Forth bar.

This was all in all a far better performance from Rovers that sees them now with six points from two League Cup Matches.