Central District First Division
Sat 23 April 2016
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Carluke had to endure some early pressure from their opponents in this match and it took a great block from Scott Bellew in the 2nd min to prevent Thorniewood taking the lead.

The visitors then continued to press Carluke back without really threatening too much before the home side created their first chance of note in the 18th min when Craig Stark set Ian Watt free but the effort was ruled out for off side.

Thorniewood broke up field from this stoppage and switched the ball from left to right and with Jonny Wilson looking to have control of the situation an unlucky touch saw the ball fall to Chris Lennon who cut in to the home box before firing home an opening goal for Thorniewood in 19 mins.

Rovers were at last creating a few chances of their own and Stark won a Rovers corner in the next attack which when played in by Watt found the head of Stevie Murray but his effort was just over the visitors bar.

The best move of the half saw Carluke work the ball from Bellew to Lewis McDougall and on to Watt on the right, Watt cut in to the Utd area and saw his effort spilled by the keeper with Ryan McGoldrick just failing to connect at the back post.

The home side finally got the goal their play deserved in the 28th min when Stark played a perfect ball in to the path of Darren Hamilton who outpaced his marker then placed a perfect chip over the head of the advancing Thorniewood keeper for 1-1.

This goal was followed by another chip from Watt that landed on the roof of the net before the final chance of the half came when McDougall chased down a loose ball in the visitors box before cutting it back to Watt but his effort was deflected for a corner that again found the head of Murray but the chance went just over the bar again.

Half time Carluke Rovers 1 v 1 Thorniewood Utd.

The second half saw Rovers break in the 46th min when Chick McCole raced through the middle before playing the ball to Watt on his left but the strikers effort was met by an excellent stop from Mcalister in the Utd goal.

Thorniewood produced a chance of their own in 52 mins when a throw in from the right was played across the face of Rovers goal but Bellew was on hand again t clear off the line witt Reece Lowdon completing the clearance.

Thorniewood should have taken the lead in 65 mins when Lennon was clean through on Jonny Griers goal but he put his effort well over the bar, this was closely followed by a mix up in the Rovers defence that allowed an effort from the left close in to crash off the bar before being cleared.

Rovers had a chance In 77 mins when Watt worked his way in to the Thorniewood area but his effort crept just wide of

The game was by now end to end with The visitors creating a couple of half chances in the 84th and 85th mins before a well worked free kick from Carluke saw McCole and Watt combine to set up Jamie Dickson but his effort was just over the Utd bar.

Thorniewood took the lead in the 87th min when a break on the right saw Law bear down on the Rovers goal and a desperate last ditch challenge from Wilson only served to divert the ball way from Griers grasp and Utd took the lead at 2-1.

This late goal would have killed off most teams but Carluke pushed forward to try to get something out of the game and the ball was worked out to Watt on the right, again he linked in to the visitors area before striking for goal with his effort only being parried by the Thorniewood keeper in to the path of Hamilton who hammered the ball home for his and Carlukes second goal of the game in stoppage time for 2-2.

This was the last action of the match and saw Carluke pick up another crucial point and they are now unbeaten in four matches.

Carluke team.
Grier, Bellew, Lowdon, Murray(Dickson), Wilson, McDougall, Stark, McCole, McGoldrick, Hamilton, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin