Central District First Division
Sat 4 October 2014
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Carluke played this first home match since the opening day of the season still looking for their first league win of the season with renewed confidence after last weeks Scottish Cup win.

Carluke pressed right from the kick off with Gary Gow setting Gordon Murphy free in the first minute but his chip shot went agonisingly past the post.

With Renfrew having been slow to start they forced a corner in the 9th minute and with Rovers not taking the chance to clear the ball was eventually laid to the left and a lob went over the heads of everybody and in to the far corner of the net for 1-0 to the visitors.

Carluke controlled good spells of the match from this point without actually threatening the Renfrew goal until in the 25th min Murphy laid the ball off to Greig Cavanagh who with good close control set Ian Watt free on goal and a good low finish put the scores level at 1-1.

Better was to follow for Rovers in the 28th minute when Gow played a good ball forward to Murphy who linked up with Cavanagh taking the return ball in his stride before putting in another good low shot to put Carluke in front at 2-1.

The match went through a wee quiet spell after this before Rovers had another chance when Watt cut in from the left before setting up Mark Weir but his effort was wide of the target.

Renfrew grabbed an undeserved equalising goal in the 40th min when a slack ball out of defence was picked up on their right side, a cross was swung in and Stevie Murray was unfortunate to see his attempted clearance go past Jonny Grier in the Rovers goal for 2-2.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 2 Renfrew FC.

The second half had a slower tempo to it with the first chance being carved out by Rovers in 58 mins when good work from Weir on the left set Watt up but his effort was saved by the visiting keeper.

The next attack a minute later saw Renfrew break well and as they went clear on goal they looked as if they were certain to retake the lead but Grier made a great save to keep the scores level.

Rovers were then on the wrong end of a couple of shocking penalty decisions when first Watt was upended in the Renfrew area then as he tried to get free on goal the Renfrew left back handled the ball to deny him a chance but neither decision went in favour of the home side.

Rovers had a couple of half chances for Watt and Cavanagh but neither came to anything before Renfrew had a golden chance in the 85th min when a free kick was flighted in to the back post but their forwards header went just wide of the target.

Rovers finished with a couple of half chances when Cavanagh had a shot blocked to Weir but his effort was saved then a glorious ball from Davy Gray found Watt but his shot was saved.

These were the last chances of a match dominated by the home side but they had to be content with a share of the spoils on the day.

Carluke Rovers FCTeam LineupsTeams - Renfrew 100

1. Grier
2. Stewart  
3. Gow  
4. Gray  
5. Murray
6. Murphy 
7. Wilson  
8. Kindlan  
9. Watt  
10. Cavanagh  
11. Weir
12. Lythgow  
14. Dickson  
15. Napier
16. Barr
21. Thompson 
1. Baird
2. McLeary
3. McDade
4. Chisolm
5. Campbell
6. Chalk
7. Forbes
8. Gilmour
9. Arthur
10. Dempstry
11. Boyd
12. Hocknull
14. Benton
15. Bell
16. Quigley
19. Burgess