Sat 18 July 2015
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Wilson and Stewart block a strike.

Carluke Rovers at last got back “home” to The John Cumming Stadium after four months with this friendly match against their visitors from the east in Pumpherston JFC.

Rovers opened the match well with two players in midfield making their debuts in the match these being Lewis Hill and Lewis McDougall, the pair were involved in the first chance for Carluke when they linked well before McDougall put in an excellent cross which was controlled by Greig Cavanagh who played the ball in to Hill but his parting shot went well over the bar.

The home side did take the lead however a few seconds later when Cavanagh won a header in the middle of the park before feed Ian Watt and his great pass in to the path of Jonny Wilson saw the midfielder brave in a race with the visiting keeper before chipping a sublime opening goal for 1-0 to the Rovers.

New signing Lewis Hill.

Carluke continued to control these early stages of the match with Watt setting up a few chances but none were taken then he was on the end of a good ball from Jamie Dickson but his cross was headed over by Wilson.

Dickson was involved again a few minutes later when he was on the end of a perfect pass from Gary Gow but as he cut inside and got a shot away it was blocked and cleared by the Pumphy defence.

Pumphy were having their best success down the left and this brought them a rare chance in the 28th min but a great challenge by Wilson cleared the danger for Rovers.

Carluke continued to make chances as the half wore on but none were taken and the led by a single goal at the break.

Good to see Scott Bellew back.

The second half saw Carluke make a couple of changes and Ryan Smillie showed he had no after effects of his holiday when he chased down a ball on the left then put in a good cross which was put in to the path of Dickson by Cavanagh but the midfielder managed to put the ball wide when he probably should have scored.

The visitors got back on level terms in the 59th minute when the Carluke defence were looking for offside but the Pumphy players carried on and a low cross was swept in to the net for 1-1.

The play went from end to end for what was left of the match and despite Carluke making a few more chances they could not take any of them and they had to settle for a share of the spoils in this their opening match of the new season.

Match Report by Craig Martin