Wed 22 July 2015
Score: 5 - 4

Match Report

Members of the Cumming family along with Craig Levien and Rovers Chairman Craig Martin

In what proved to be a very entertaining match for a good sized crowd Rovers came out on top in a nine goal thriller after both teams played some excellent football.

The home side were first to create a chance on goal when Ian Watt was free on the right and his snap shot brought a good save from the Hearts keeper.

The opening goal was not too far away however and came when Mark Weir forced a corner which was cleared by the Hearts defence falling nicely for Jonny Wilson who stuck an excellent shot high over the visiting keeper from 30 yards out for 1-0 to the Rovers.

Rovers had an opportunity to double this lead after 14 mins when a Weir free kick was met at the back post by Willie Souter but his effort went just wide.

Jonny Wilson opens the scoring.

The price was paid for this miss when Hearts broke upfield and the ball was fed out to the right and after driving in to the box a classic finish across keeper Jonny Grier made the score 1-1.

Carluke continued to press forward with Watt linking up with Ryan Smillie whose pressure forces a Hearts defender to play the ball beyond his keeper but a last ditch clearance prevented a goal.

The visiting side took the lead in the 20th min when a poor attempt at clearing their lines by Rovers allowed Hearts to build pressure on their defence and a ball to the right was cut back across goal and a simple tap in resulted in a 2-1 lead for Hearts.Carlike did not let their heads go down and took the game to Hearts with Watt being on the end of a great ball from Weir but again his shot was saved by the Hearts keeper, the striker was not to be denied for too long though as he pounced on a slip by Hearts in the middle of the park and drove forward rounding the keeper before slotting the ball home for 2-2 after 26 mins.

Mark Weir with an excellent strike.

Rovers spurned a chance to take the lead a couple of minutes later when Mark Haddow and Souter just failed to connect with another Weir free kick but they did score again in the 34th min when Wilson won the ball in midfield before playing Watt in on goal but as a shot became more difficult he laid the ball in to the path of Weir who hit an unstoppable low shot past the keeper for 3-2.

The first half scoring was rounded off in the 43rd min when Wilson was brought down in the box and Weir made no mistake with the resultant penalty to give a half time score of Carluke 4 v 2 Hearts.

The second half was a wee bit slower to get started than the hectic first half but still provided some excellent football.Rovers were first to create a chance when Greig Cavanagh broke on the right but his cut back was cleared before Watt had a free kick tipped over the bar by the Hearts keeper.

Rovers defence holding strong.

Hearts broke in the 68th min with the Rovers defence claiming for offside that did not come but keeper Gordon Bruce and his defence managed to clear the danger, then Bruce was called on again seconds later with a save from a headed effort from the resultant corner.

Hearts were pinning Rovers back at this point and Dan Napier had to clear off the line to keep their lead intact then Hearts hit the bar twice as Carluke lived dangerously.

Hearts reduced the deficit in the 80th min when an excellent free kick found the postage stamp corner for 4-3.

Rovers restored their two goal cushion in the 84th min when Cavanagh won a challenge in midfield before bearing down on the Hearts goal and placing a low finish wide of the Hearts keeper for 5-3 to the home side.The scoring was rounded off in the 90th min when another cut back from Hearts was driven home for a final score in a highly entertaining match of Carluke Rovers 5 v 4 Hearts X1

Match Report by Craig Martin