Central District First Division
Sat 2 April 2016
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Carluke picked up a point in this match but maybe should have got all three as they created enough chances in the first half to win the match comfortably.

The earliest chance in the match did however fall to the visitors when Carluke expected but did not get a free kick and it took the joint efforts of Stevie Murray and Mark Haddow to clear the danger for Rovers.

Carluke did open the scoring with their first attack in the 4th min when Craig Stark played an excellent ball for Ryan Smillie on the left and his low driven cross was only partially cleared by the Larky defence in to the path of Ian Watt who drilled the ball home for 1-0.

The home side almost doubled this lead in the 15th min after a corner when Stark blocked an attempted clearance but the ball just slid past the post.

A minute later a good ball out from keeper Gordon Bruce saw Stark set Smillie free again but his fine effort on goal came back off the bar in to the path of Watt but he blasted his shot high over the bar.

Watt had another two half chances midway through the half but again these were not taken as Carluke held on to their slender lead.

Larkhalls best chance of the half came in the 27th min when a loose ball fell kindly for them but a timely challenge from Mark Weir blocked the effort.

As half time approached Chick McCole burst though the Larky defence but he could not get total control of the ball and he lost possession and another Rovers chance was lost.

Half time Carluke Rovers 1 v 0 Larkhall Thistle.

The second half saw Larky draw level with a quick goal of their own after only 26 seconds when a throw in from the left found Innes and his low shot found the Rovers net for 1-1.

This goal spurred the visitors on and Bruce in the Carluke goal had to bring off a good save in 51 mins to keep the scores level.

Carluke were finding chances harder to come by but did create a couple in 64 mins when Haddow saw his header go just over the bar from a Weir corner then in 68 mins McCole set up Watt with a good ball in from the left but after good control and a quick turn he saw his effort go just past the post.

Larky had a good spell as the match drew to a close with Bruce making a good save from a free kick then he brought off an excellent stop from a net bound low drive to keep the score at 1-1.

The last action of the match saw Murray block another Larky effort at the expense of a corner which saw a final score of Carluke Rovers 1 v 1 Larkhall Thistle

Carluke Team.
Bruce, Lowdon, Murray, Wilson, McDougall(Burns), Hadddow, Stark(McGoldrick), McCole, Weir, Smillie(Hamilton), Watt

Match Report by Craig Martin