Central District First Division
Sat 9 April 2016
Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

Carluke played down the famous Gow slope in the first half but they nor their hosts created many chances in a lacklustre first half.

The first attack of any note came from Carluke when a Davy Gray free kick was only partially cleared to Lewis McDougall but his shot was well over the Gow bar.

This was quickly followed by a Gow break on the left forcing a good stop from Rovers keeper Jonny Grier in 12 mins.

Lesmahagow saw Lygate cautioned early in the match after a few meaty challenges with Rovers Chick McCole being on the receiving end of most of them.

Carluke had a couple of shots blocked in 23 mins when a good ball in to the penalty fell to McCole with his initial effort falling to Watt but his shot was also blocked as the Gow defence cleared the danger.

The last chance of the half fell to Carluke when Ryan Smillie broke on the right before cutting in to the box and unleashing a fierce shot which was well saved by Barnes in the Lesmahagow goal.

Half time Lesmahagow 0 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw the home side take control early on pressing Rovers back and their best early chance came when Grier came out of his area for a challenge that saw the loose ball played towards the Carluke goal but Gray was quickest to react clearing the ball for a corner, this was the first of a series of corners for the home side but fortunately for Carluke none of them came to anything.

The best chance of the match fell to Rovers in the 59th min when Mark Weir put a good ball deep to the back post with Watt first to react playing the ball square to Mark Haddow but somehow he managed to put the ball high over the bar from less than two yards out.

The visitors were on top at this point and had another good chance to open the scoring when Smillie cut in from the left but his shot was again saved by Barnes, a minute later McDougall set Watt free on the right and after beating two opponents he put the ball perfectly in to the path of Smillie but his first time effort was again over the Gow bar.

The home side were by now being limited to shots from distance with none of them causing Grier in the Rovers goal any problems at all.

Watt set strike partner Smillie up again in the 71st min but again his effort was blocked with the rebound falling to McDougall but his strike was also blocked clear.

Rovers forced a rare corner in the 72nd minute with Weir putting in a good ball from the right and Stevie Murray rose highest at the back post to power a header home for 1-0 to the visitors.

This goal seemed to settle Rovers and they looked to increase their lead but Weir saw a low free kick again well saved by the Gow keeper.

The Rovers strike force of Smillie and Watt linked up well in the 83rd min but Watts parting shot was again well saved keeping Carlukes lead to the narrowest of margins.

As the game neared its conclusion Rovers did eventually get a second goal when McDougall took a quick throw on the right picking up the return before driving to the bye line his cut back to Smillie was cut out but he had continued his run and slammed the ball home for 2-0 after 87 mins.

This should have been the match over but a rash challenge from Murray on the stroke of time gave Lesmahagow a penalty but a great save from Grier kept the Rovers clean sheet.

This was an excellent win for Carluke that put them up to 7th in the table and puts daylight between them and some of their rivals at the bottom end of the league.

Rovers team.
Grier, Lowdon, Murray, Gray, Wilson, McDougall, McCole, Haddow, Weir(Hamilton), Watt, Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin