Central District First Division
Sat 16 April 2016
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Carluke started this vital match well pressing their hosts back but it was Vale who created the first chance when they broke on the right and a cross saw a header bring out a save from Rovers keeper Jonny Grier after only 2 mins.

Carluke continued with their good form from last week and created a good chance of their own in 16 mins when Chick McCole put in a perfect cross from the right which was met by Ian Watt but his header was just wide of target, this was followed a minute later with a great ball from Mark Weir setting McCole free again and after an excellent burst to the bye line his cut back again found Watt but his effort was again wide.

The first score of the match came in the 19th min when a poor clearance from Carluke allowed Vale possession in midfield and when the ball was switched out to the left it did not look as if there was much danger but a great finish from Scott McManus made it 1-0 to the home side.

Carluke had another good chance in the 27th min when Weir picked out Lewis McDougall on the right and his overhead ball in to goal found Watt but his strike crashed off the home bar before being cleared.

The visitors were not too be denied for much longer though and drew level in the 28th min when a surging run from Scott Burns saw him cover half the length of the park before releasing Watt on thye right and his low finish flashed past the home keeper for 1-1.

The last action of the first half saw Grier tip the ball over the Rovers bar after an effort from distance from Vale of Clyde.

Half time Vale of Clyde 1 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw Carluke start well and they almost snatched the lead in the 47th min when McDougall found Ryan Smillie on the edge of the box, his effort landed at the feet of Watt who turned and hit a weak shot towards goal that was saved at the expense of a corner by the home keeper.

Carluke did take the lead in the 61st min when good work non the right ended with a Watt cross that was met by a Mark Haddow header that powered home for 2-1, the visitors were well on top at this point and created another good chance in 65 mins when a good run on the right from McDougall ended with a ball in to Weir but his shot was blocked away for a corner.

The visitors increased their lead in the 67th min when a good free kick in from Weir found the head of Craig Stark and his ball back across goal found Smillie who crashed home an unstoppable shot for 3-1.

Rovers purple patch was rounded off in the 69th min when more good work from McCole saw him find Watt again on the right, the striker cut in to the Vale box and despite being held back he got away from his marker and fired home for his second and Carlukes fourth goal of the match for 4-1.

The home side had a bit of possession as the game wore on but never really threatened Carlukes goal and the visitors went on to record their second away win on the trot to see them stay in 7th place in the division.

Carluke team.Grier, Burns, Murray, Wilson, McDougall, Haddow(Bruce), Stark(McGoldrick), McCole, Weir(Bellew), Watt, Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin