Central District First Division
Sat 25 April 2015
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Carluke extended their unbeaten run to 14 matches against Vale of Clyde on Saturday but had the efforts of goalkeeper Jonny Grier to thank for them getting anything at all from the match.

Carluke started the match in the best possible way when they took the lead in the 2nd minute when Ian Watt fed the ball out to Jonny Wilson on the right and raced in to the area to collect the return pass before slotting the ball home for 1-0 to the visiting Rovers.

The visitors had a chance to extend their lead in the 14th min when Watt put a good ball to the back post from a free kick where Gordon Murphy was unlucky to have the ball turned away for a corner before he had a chance to get a strike on goal, the resultant corner ended with Murphy having a shot blocked before the ball was cleared.

From this point the home side controlled the rest of the first half and made the first of a series of chances in the 18th min when a free kick only needed a tap in at the back post but Grier pulled off the first of his many great saves when he cleared the ball away from a point blank effort.

Rovers were only hitting on the break now and a move involving Watt again ended with Dan Kindlan putting a shot wide of the post.

The scores were levelled after 24 mins when a ball in to the Rovers area was not dealt with and a good finish by Vale made it 1-1.

The home side should have taken the lead in the 31st min when Carluke lost the ball in midfield and Vale were in two on one but Grier brought off an excellent save from the end shot before blocking another then diving at the feet of an attacker to prevent a third attempt on goal.

Grier followed this up by tipping away another effort across his goal for a corner a few minutes later.

As the half drew to a close Carluke had a chance to take the lead when Murphy dinked in a good free kick but Stevie Murray saw his headed effort go just over the bar.

Half time VoC 1 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

Despite a half time rollocking Carluke were slow to start the second half and it took another fine save from Grier in the 60th min to keep them in the match, then in the 62nd min he excelled again as Vale were through again and looked certain to score.

A rare chance in the second half fell to Carluke in the 77th min when at last a ball was played to get the Vale defence turning and Ryan Smillie outstripped them before hitting a low shot that brought a fine save from the home keeper.

Vale continued to look the likelier to win the match from this point but Rovers held on to earn another league point to keep them in second place in the table.

Rovers team,
Grier, Souter, Murray, Gow(Lithgow), Haddow, Dan Kindlan(Dickson), Dean Kindlan, Murphy(Cavanagh), Wilson, Smillie, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin