Central Sectional League Cup
Wed 16 August 2017
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Another much changed team for Carluke saw them put in a fairly good performance against a quick passing Shotts side.

Rovers keeper David Thomson was busy early on and made a couple of good saves with the best coming from a deflected shot in the 2nd min that was net bound in the bottom corner.

Carlukes first real opportunity came when Mark Cassidy shut down the home centre half but his well hit shot was saved by the Shotts keeper.

Rovers continued to play in short spells and their best chances were from set pieces with Mark Weir putting in a couple of dangerous corners that tested the home defence and keeper.

Another good chance fell to the visitors in 28 mins when Greg Kane set Cassidy in on goal but again his shot was well saved.
The opening goal came for Shotts in the 33rd min after yet another corner from Carluke was cleared and a break on the right ended with a low cut back being placed in to the net for 1-0.

James Martin helped create the next chance for Carluke when he set Weir up as half time approached but again another good save kept the home lead intact, this lead was in fact doubled in the 42nd min when a slip in defence allowed Shotts through on goal and a cool finish made the score at half time

Shotts Bon Accord 2 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

Rovers had a good chance to reduce the deficit early in the second half when a Kane corner found Cassidy but his header hit the post before being scrambled clear.

Carluke looked as if they may be on the end of a hammering when Shotts went 3-0 up in the 50th min when another ball in to the Rovers defence was not cleared and another good shot found the net.

This goal however spurred Rovers on to their best spell of the match starting with a driving run on the right before the ball was fed in to the path of Martin but his shot was well saved, then a good challenge on the left saw the ball break for Sam Biggart but his shot was tipped on to the bar by thee home keeper with the loose ball falling for Cassidy but his header was also saved.

The visitors did get on the score sheet in the 63rd min however when Cassidy set a good Crossfield ball to Martin who cut inside a couple of defenders before firing a great shot home for 3-1, this was followed by Martin and Cassidy forcing a corner a few minutes later but when it was played in Aldin El Zoubaidi saw his header saved.

Rovers thought they should have had a penalty in the 70th min when Cassidy was hauled down in the box after a free kick was played in but nothing was forthcoming.

Carluke did get a second goal however when in the 85th min another driving run from Martin on the right saw him cut in to the Shotts penalty area and although he lost possession the ball fell kindly for Cassidy who fired home from 18 yards for 3-2.

Rovers tried in vain to get a levelling goal in the last few minutes but could not manage to find the net but did give a creditable account of themselves especially in the second half.

Rovers team
Thomson, Renwick, El Zoubaidi, Lambie, Gow, Martin, Weir(Browning), Biggart(Neill), Kane(Blacklaw), Lowdon, Cassidy.

Match Report by Craig Martin