Central Sectional League Cup
Wed 9 August 2017
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

Rovers collected three points with this win against near neighbours Newmains on Wednesday night but should have made the game more comfortable for themselves.

Neither side settled too well but it was the home side who took the lead after 9 mins when Carluke lost possession from a corner kick with Newmains breaking up field and a crashing shot from the right beat David Thomson for 1-0.

Rovers eventually found their way in the match when a ball over the home defence found Ian Watt who laid the ball in to the path of James Martin but the final shot went just over the bar.

The equalising goal came after 17 mins when Watt won a corner which was put in by Mark Weir, Reece Lowdon met the ball at the front post and an excellent glancing header beat the home keeper for 1-1.

Things got better for the visitors a few minutes later when good work in the middle allowed the ball to be played in to the path of Martin who outstripped the home defence before placing a low shot past the keeper for 2-1.

Rovers were by now in full flight and a minute later Mark Haddow set Martin up with a good ball but his final shot came crashing off the bar, Watt was quickest to react to the loose ball but his header was well saved by the home keeper.

Carluke did increase their lead though in the 24th min when Haddow linked up well with Gary Gow on the left before a low cut back found Greg Kane and his low shot found the corner of the net for 3-1.

Rovers created another couple of chances in the run up to half time for Martin again then a Watt header that was saved but neither was taken and the half time score was Newmains CC 1 v 3 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke had a scare early in the second half when a clearance from defence was forced down with Newmains being clean through on Thomson but he brought off a fine save to keep the score at 3-1.

The keeper was not as lucky a few minutes later though as he collected a pass back but tried to cut inside the Newmains centre forward who blocked the ball with the rebound finding the net for 3-2.

Fortunately for Carluke they did not panic at this loss of a goal and restored the two goal cushion in 57 mins when a corner found the head of Aldin El Zoubaidi, his header back across goal was forced in to the net by Lowdon for his second goal of the match for 4-2 to the visitors.

Rovers went on to create chance after chance for the remainder of the match but took none of them and had to settle for a 4-2 win against a young Newmains side.

Carluke Team.
Thomson, McCole, Lambie, El Zoubaidi, Gow, Martin(Blacklaw), Lowdon(Browning), Haddow, Kane, Weir(Biggart), Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin