Central District First Division
Sat 22 March 2014
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Carluke went to Johnstone on Saturday and put in a good early performance although they did struggle a bit in the second half as the heavy conditions took their toll.

The match started with Rovers playing up the slope and taking the game to Burgh, they had a chance to open the scoring in the 5th min but a Gordon Murphy free kick went wide of the post.

The opening goal however came not long after this when a great ball from John Kane found Ian Watt running in on goal and after a touch to control the ball a great finish put Rovers 1-0 up after 7 mins.

Burgh tried hard to get back in to the match and had an effort come back off the post in the 16th min but this was a rare effort as Carluke controlled the biggest part of the first half.

The Rovers forward line of Watt and Greg Cavanagh were linking well as Cavanagh set up a chance for Watt but the ball was cleared by the Burgh defence in the 21st min but gain this only slightly delayed the visitors scoring the all important second goal in the 22nd min. Scott McGeachie put in good work on the right before freeing Cavanagh who turned his man well before laying the ball in to the path of Watt who put in another superb low finish for 2-0 to the Rovers.

Carluke controlled the rest of the first half but failed to take any of the chances they made and went in at half time 2-0 up.

The second half saw play bogged down on the heavy park after rain and hail made conditions even worse and it took until the 70th min before Carluke fashioned out a chance but the effort from a Kane free kick was saved by the home keeper, Burgh took heart from this and set up a chance of their own in the 71st min when slack marking allowed them in on the Rovers goal and the ball was eventually forced over the line for 2-1.

Rovers carved out chances in the heavy conditions after losing this goal and Stuart Arnott saw an effort well saved at the expense of a corner before Murphy set Cavanagh free on the right but the strikers effort went wide of the far post.

Gavin McLachlan in the Rovers goal was called upon to make a couple of timely saves to keep the Rovers lead intact before the final action saw Murphy set Arnott free on the left but again a good save from the burgh keeper kepy the score at 2-1 at full time.