Central District Second Division
Sat 9 December 2017
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

One of only five junior games to survive the recent big freeze in Scotland emerged as Carluke Rovers travelled to nearby Airdrie to face regular rivals Gartcairn FC.

The home side started brightly and threatened the Rovers goal early on with a succession of shots and crosses which were suppressed by Keeper Halford and a determined and well marshalled defence.

Rovers worked their way confidently into the game and looked comfortable in possession moving the ball quickly ‘through the thirds’ and after 12 minutes went ahead when striker Ian Watt drifted to the right wing to collect a 30 yard Gary Gow pass.

His deft first touch allowed him to outsprint the full back and fire a low shot under the keeper from close range.

Rovers continued to sustain their attacking desire for the remainder of the first half with Mark Haddow and Greg Kane linking play from the midfield to create scoring chances for James Martin, Mark Cassidy and Ian Watt.

On 40 minutes Keeper Halford was alert to tip a 35 yard goal bound strike onto the bar with the rebound headed towards goal only for Mark Haddow to clear off the line.

Half time Gartcairn 0 Carluke 1.

Gartcairn reorganised and changed formation at the start of the second half as they pressed for an equaliser only for the Rovers defence to snuff out the danger denying the Cairn forwards space and time to shoot or cross coupled with some well timed tackling and interceptions from Lambie and Gow.

After spurning three scoring chances the hard working Rovers went 2 ahead on 65 mins when James Martins pace and power on the right wing overwhelmed the Cairn left back and a deep cross found Ian Watt at the back post who subtly chipped the ball back across goal onto the head of Mark Cassidy who’s glancing header found the net.

With Rovers 2-0 up Cairn were reduced to ten men when Donnelly had a heated verbal altercation with the Referee who showed him a straight red card.

Rovers controlled the play from this point and on 83 minutes James Martin’s surging 40yard solo run resulted in a fine goal as he calmly placed a side footed shot past the keeper into the far left corner of the net.

Ian Watt wrapped up the game in the 87th minute with a cracking run across the 18 yard line and shot from a tight angle which found the net for his second goal and Rovers 4th of the afternoon.

Massive credit to Rovers head coach Spike McNeish for his inspirational motivation of players and tactical foresight over the last month as he and manager Dunn make it 3 league wins from 3 matches and push Rovers onwards and upwards into 3rd position in the league.

Match Report by Ian McKnight