Central District Second Division
Sat 3 September 2016
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

From the highs of an opening day win to the lows of a second week defeat and a poor performance in to the bargain showed Rovers what a difference a week makes.

Carluke started the match in best possible fashion with a fine goal after only 3 mins when Sam Biggart played a free kick to the back post where John Renwick was on hand to head the ball across goal and Jonny Wilson put an excellent cushioned header over the home keeper for 1-0.

Rovers did not press home the superiority they had at this point and lost an equalising goal after 12 mins when a flighted ball over their defence found Thistle left back McCabe who volleyed a fine goal for 1-1.

The free scoring first half continued when good work from Lewis McDougall on the left saw him put another ball to the back post where this time Chick McCole headed back across goal and Ian Watt was on hand to score from close range to put the visitors 2-1 up.

Carluke hardly had time to create another chance of their own before their hosts drew level for a second time when a poor header out of defence was picked up by East Kilbrides Gibson who drilled the ball home for 2-2.

There were few chances for both sides as the first half wore on and the score at half time was East Kilbride Th 2 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half started brightly with Carluke working the ball well down the right but one slack pass saw the move break down before Thistle themselves attacked the Rovers defence and missed the sitter of the match in front of goal that would have put them in front for the first time in the match.

Rovers next chance came when a free kick was headed on by Wilson but Watts shot hit the Thistle post before going wide in 50mins.

A fine move saw East Kilbride threaten the Rovers goal in 56 mins but a good save from Daniel Tobin kept the scores level.

A minute later Watt saw an effort go high over the home bar as Carluke tried to get ahead in the match again then McDougall had a shot turned away for a corner a few minutes after this.

The home side took the lead in the 65th min when a break through the middle saw Carluke back off and the ball was switched from right to left where McFadden was able to pick out a shot that beat Tobin in the top corner of the net for 3-2.

Tobin was in action again in 70 mins with another fine save as the home side looked to increase their lead.

The remainder of the match saw Carluke huff and puff but not really threaten the home goal too much with only a couple of efforts from Greg Fernie and Watt both off which were wide of goal.

Carluke Team
Tobin, Bellew, Lowdon, Renwick, Biggart(Weir), Mitchell(Fernie), McCole, Haddow, Wilson, McDougall, Watt

Match Report by Craig Martin