Central District First Division
Sat 14 March 2015
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Carluke travelled to what is always a difficult venue at Dunipace and came away with three cracking points and stretched their winning run to seven games.

Carluke had the worst possible start as they went 1-0 down in the second minute, a slack challenge allowed Dunipace to advance down the right before they scored the first of the match.

Rovers stood up to this loss of a goal in the best way as they pressed Dunipace back and in the 4th min Gary Gow linked up with Gordon Murphy but Murphy’s effort was tipped round the post.

Carluke were limiting the home sides chances but when they won a free kick in 20 mins Rovers keeper Jonny Grier brought off an excellent save to keep it at 1-0.

This save proved to be vital a minute later when Mark Weir set Ryan Smillie free on the left and he outstripped the Dunipace defence before setting up Murphy but his shot was heading wide before Greg Cavanagh slipped the ball past the home keeper to make the score 1-1 after 21 mins.

Rovers were on the front foot at this point and had a chance to take the lead in 23 mins when Craig Stark headed a ball in to the path of Cavanagh after a free kick but the big strikers effort went wide.

The visitors took the lead in the 37th minute after yet another foul on Smillie allowed Weir to deliver the ball in to the box where Stevie Murray was first to react and after his initial effort was saved he forced the ball home for 2-1 to Carluke, a scoreline they held until half time.

The second half saw the home side come out fighting and in 50 mins a break on the right looked to produce a chance but good work from firstly Jordan Lithgow then Murphy saw the danger cleared.

Carluke contained the home side with some excellent defending right across the line and in the 63rd minute they extended their lead when a ball out wide to the right from Murphy found Smillie who drove in on goal before placing an excellent low shot past the Dunipace keeper for 3-1.

Rovers were dealt a blow in 68 minutes when Dean Kindlan was ordered off for a foolish lash out at an opponent and this saw Carluke on the back foot for most of the remainder of the match.

The home side put the pressure on their visitors for long spells but some great defending from Murray and excellent saves from Grier kept them at bay until the 89th minute when a cut back from the left was scrambled home by Dunipace for 3-2.

Earlier in the season this would have been a signal for the self destruct button to be pressed by Rovers but they continued to defend well with the match ending fittingly as Murray blocked yet another Dunipace effort.

Carluke team
Grier, Lithgow, Murray, Gow, Stark, Dickson, Dean Kindlan, Murphy, Weir, Cavanagh, Smillie.
Subs Ferguson for Cavanagh, Wilson for Dickson, Daniel Kindaln for Weir.