Central District First Division
Sat 19 December 2015
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

Carluke started this home match very slowly and it took until the 11th min to create even a half chance when they broke in to the strong wind with Chick McCole breaking on the right and as his ball was played in Ian Watt looked to be pushed with nothing being given then the ball fell to Mark Weir but his effort was high over the bar.

Maryhill came more in to the match as they used the wind to their advantage pushing Rovers back and they took the lead in 17 mins when a half hit effort came back off the post before the rebound was hammered home for 1-0.

This lead was doubled in 25 mins when a break from midfield ended with a low shot past Jonny Grier for 2-0, with Rovers finding it hard to break at this point. The visitors almost scoffed a third goal on 32 mins with the home side looking for an offside that was not given but the effort went just wide.

Carluke finally got on the attack again and forced a corner in 36mins but Mark Haddows header was wide but they forced another corner through Scott Burns, again Haddow got a header in which was net bound but was cleared off the line eventually ending at the feet of Ryan Smillie but his shot was just over the bar.

The Rovers were not to be denied though as they continued to press with Smillies good work setting up Lewis McDougall and the young midfielder hit a sweet low shot from 25 yards that curled in to the net for 2-1.

Carluke saw good work from Haddow set up Smillie again in the 41st min but again his effort was just over.

The visitors scored a scrappy 3rd goal just before half time as Carluke passed up chances to clear and a looping header made it Carluke Rovers 1 v 3 Maryhill at half time.

Carluke failed to take advantage of the wind at their backs in the second and started slowly allowing Maryhill to create a good chance in 47 mins that took an excellent stop from Grier to keep them out.

They did however get what proved to be the killer fourth goal in the 48th min when comic cuts defending saw Rovers squander chances to clear before the ball was stabbed home for 4-1.

The rest of the half was very poor on the entertainment front with Maryhill doing a good job of closing the match out and Carluke not doing enough to break them down.

The only bright spot of the half was when McCole picked the ball up all of 35 yards out in the 84th min and hit a superb shot in to the postage stamp corner for 4-2 but this proved far too little far too late as the rest of the match failed to produce any chances for either side.

Carluke Team.
Grier, Bellew, Burns, Wilson, McDougall(Dickson), Haddow, McCole, Ward(Hill), Weir(Dickson), Smillie, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin