Central District Second Division
Sat 23 September 2017
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

Carluke suffered a second league defeat with this reversal against Bellshill and this saw them drop down the league table having now only taken one point from their last three matches.

The home side were slow out of the blocks and fell behind in the 11th min when confusion in defence allowed Bellshill to break on the left and a good finishing shot from Kane beat Thomson in the Rovers goal for 1-0.

This lead should probably have been doubled for the visitors a few minutes later when a free kick again from the left ended with a shot that crashed off the Rovers bar before being cleared.

Carluke were finding chances hard to come by but Greg Kane did set Ian Watt up with a chance after a free kick in 23 mins but the strikers shot was blocked away for a corner that came to nothing.

The visitors compounded what had been a poor first half for Carluke when they scored a second goal again helped on by Carluke losing possession in the middle of the park and despite a claim for off side Kane scored a second goal for 2-0 to Bellshill.

As the half drew to a close a Mark Weir ball found Watt at the back post but his header was in to the side netting.

Half time Carluke Rovers 0 v 2 Bellshill Athletic.

Rovers had a scare early in the second half when a long ball allowed a run in on Thomsons goal but the final strike came back off the post and was cleared.

Carluke got a goal back in the 56th min with what was probably their first decent bit of football when James Martin picked the ball up in the middle of the park a ran at the Bellshill defence before feeding Weir on the left, his cut back was bundled in to the net by Mark Cassidy for 2-1 to give a bit of hope to the home side.

The scores were level a few minutes later when Chick McCole’s driving run ended with him picking Cassidy out with a good pass he in turn laid the ball to Greg Kane who placed a great shot low in to the net from 20 yards for 2-2.

This goal had Rovers on the ascendency and they played some good football as they looked to get the winner but the wind was knocked out of their sails in 70 mins when a pass back from John Renwick saw keeper Thomson fail to deal with the ball and this allowed Brennan to steal the ball and have the easiest task to place the ball in to an empty net for 3-2 to the visitors.

The final slap in the face for Carluke came when a very soft penalty was awarded against Mark Haddow in the 74th min which was hammered home by Shaw to give a two goal cushion to Bellshill for the second time in the match.

Carluke were unable to recover from this setback and suffered consecutive defeats for the first time this season.

Rovers Team. Thomson, McCole, Renwick, Lowdon, Biggart, Martin, Haddow, Kane, Weir(Vezza), Cassidy, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin