Central District First Division
Sat 29 August 2015
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

This match took a while to get flowing with Rovers making the first chance after 11 mins when Greig Cavanagh linked well with Jamie Dickson who laid the ball in to Gordon Murphy’s path but the weak final shot was wide of target.

Chances were few and far between with The Ants first effort of note coming in 21 mins with a move down the left ending with a cross that Brown headed over the Rovers bar.

Carluke fell foul of more over zealous refereeing in the 24th min when Dickson was on the end of a hefty tackle and was ordered off for a push on his opponent who only received a yellow card for his part in the action which looked to be a lot worse than Dickson’s.

The home side continued to be the better team despite the ordering off and took the lead in the 31st min when they won possession in the middle of the park before Mark Haddow passed to Ian Watt who beat a couple of opponents before hitting a trademark shot high in to the Ants net from all of 30yards for 1-0.

Carluke had to deal with a bad injury to Gary Gow to make their task harder then missed a couple of good chances to increase their lead through Ryan Smillie as the half wore on.

St Ants were awarded a penalty in the 42nd mi n when Jordan Lithgow was adjudged to have handled in the area and this was converted by Duncan to give a half time score of 1-1.

Rovers started the second half better with Watt putting in a good cross on 46 mins but no Carluke player could get on the end of it but a minute later they regained the lead when a Gordon Bruce clearance was well controlled by Cavanagh who set Smillie free on goal and he coolly rounded the keeper before rolling the ball home for 2-1 to Carluke.

The parity was restored in the 57th min when Ants won a free kick on the left and poor marking allowed a header at the front post from Ross for 2-2.

Both sides struggled to get any real scoring chances as the match played out to an opening day draw and had to be happy with a share of the points which was a good effort on the part of the home side players as they played over an hour with 10 men.

Carluke team.Bruce, Wilson, Dougan, Gow(Lithgow), Watt, Haddow, Stark, Murphy, Dickson, Cavanagh, Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin