Sat 25 July 2015
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

In a battle of the Rovers on Saturday past Carluke came out on top in a fairly timid affair compared to the entertainment on show during the week versus Hearts.

The match was quite slow to start with Carluke creating the first chance of any note after 15 mins when Ian Watt was set free on the right but his low shot was just past the target.

The first goal of the match came in the 24th min when Mark Weir and Watt linked up well on the left before Weir’s cross was put out for a corner.

The initial corner was headed on to the bar by Gordon Murphy before being cleared but ending up in the path of Lewis McDougall who hit a low shot in to the net for his first goal for the club to give the home side a 1-0 lead.

The visitors should have drawn level in 30 mins when poor defending allowed them through on the Rovers goal but a point blank save from Jonny Grier prevented an equalising strike.

The last chances of the half came in 35 mins when Watt had an effort well saved and as the loose ball again fell to McDougall he saw a net bound effort tipped over the bar by the visiting keeper with only a corner being the result.

Half time Carluke Rovers 1 v 0 Kello Rovers.

The second half saw Carluke look to stretch their lead early on with Greig Cavanagh and Ryan Smillie linking up well but the second goal came from Watt in the 49th min after Craig Stewart had an effort from distance only parried by the Kello keeper and Watt was first to react to force the ball home from a tight angle for 2-0.

Chances were few and far between in a patchy second half and it took until n62 mins for Cavanagh to fashion the next of these but another save from the Kello keeper gave a corner that came to nothing.

Watt had a good effort on goal in the 67th min well saved as the home side continued to look to extend their lead but the 3rd goal was not to come.

As the rain continued to pour down the scoring was wrapped up in the 83rd min when Kello won a free kick that saw a couple of half chances stopped by Rovers keeper Gordon Bruce before eventually the ball was hammered high in to the net for 2-1, as score that stood until the end of the match.

Match Report by Craig Martin