Central District Second Division
Sat 26 August 2017
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

These two sides were well matched early on as they tried to get the measure of each other in this second league match of the season.

Carluke created the first chance of the match in the 10th min when Mark Weir played the ball forward for Ian Watt but the strikers effort was well over the visitors bar.

The home side started to gain the best of the possession as the half wore on and created a few chances without actually taking any of them, the first of these came when Weir again fed the ball out to Watt on the right and an excellent take by Watt allowed him to cut inside the visitors box but his parting effort was well saved by the Ashfield keeper.

The stalemate was however broken by the same combination in the 29th min when yet another perfect ball forward from Weir saw Watt allow the ball to drop over his shoulder before bearing down on the Ashfield goal and a great volley flew high in to the net for 1-0.

The home side were well on top at this point and almost snatched a second goal but Watts shot was blocked away for a corner, this was played in by Weir and ended up with a Mark Haddow shot that was also blocked for a corner but this time it came to nothing.

The home side did however double their lead before half time though, this time a well played ball by Reece Lowdon found Mark Cassidy on the right, he cut in to the opposition penalty area before unleashing an excellent low drive that flew in to the visitors net for 2-0.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 0 Ashfield FC.

The second half started with Carluke on the attack right from the kick off with the ball played out to James Martin on the left and after cutting inside he played a ball in to the path of Cassidy but the strikers shot was blocked with the ball falling to Greg Kane but his shot was over the bar.

Ashfield showed their danger from free kicks in the 55th min when a good ball was flighted in ending with a header that was fairly comfortably saved by David Thomson in the Rovers goal.

Carluke produced another good chance on the hour mark when Mark Cassidy chased down what looked to be a lost cause on the right and managed to put the ball back across goal but Martin’s touch was not heavy enough and the ball squirmed away for a goal kick.

The game produced few clear cut chances until the last 10 mins when Haddow put the ball out for an Ashfield corner but injured himself in the process, with the big midfielder being off the park this allowed the Ashfield centre forward to win a header that scraped the bar and just crossed the line before Thomson scrambled it away to make the score 2-1.

This produced a nervy few minutes for Carluke as they looked to hold on to their lead but they continued to give away cheap free kicks and from one of these Ashfield looked to have equalised when their No 9 again headed home but this effort in stoppage time was ruled out for off side.

The last action of the match did come for Rovers though when Kane was set a chase with the visiting keeper who brought him down and earned a red card in the process, the free kick came to nothing but the final whistle went as it was blocked and Carluke held on for three good points.

Carluke Team.Thomson, McCole, El Zoubaidi, Lowdon, Gow, Weir(Blacklaw), Haddow, Kane, Martin, Cassidy(Currie), Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin