Central District First Division
Sat 22 February 2014
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

In what was another poor home performance Carluke got what they probably deserved out of this match which was nothing.

The match was a slow starter from both sides with chances in the first half few and far between, Rovers did carve out a half chance early on when John Kane set Ian Watt free on the right but his cut back was behind his strikers, Maryhill also had a wee chance when a clearance from Craig Stark only found an opponent but the shot was across the goal and harmlessly out for a goal kick.

The scoring was opened in the 22nd min when Carluke lost possession in the middle of the park allowing Maryhill to attack down the left and a low drive found the corner of the net for 1-0 to the visitors.

The match was bogged down in the middle of the park for most of the half and it took until the 42nd min for Carluke to even threaten the Maryhill goal when a ball in from Watt was headed weakly in to the visiting keepers hands by Mark Haddow.

Half time Carluke Rovers 0 v 1 Maryhill.

Half time saw Rovers make a change up front when Greg Cavanagh replaced Watt and the big striker made an immediate impact when he latched on to a perfect ball from Gordon Murphy before rounding the keeper and slotting home for 1-1.

This proved to be the spur that Rovers needed and they pinned Maryhill back and had chances to take the lead but a good strike from Murphy brought out a good save then the same player saw an effort go just over the bar a minute later.

This good spell from Rovers came to an abrupt end in the 52nd min when Cavanagh was sent off along with the Maryhill sweeper when he retaliated after being punched by his opponent when chasing down the ball towards the bye line.

The loss of Cavanagh proved to be a bigger blow to Rovers than the man less did to Maryhill and they upped their game as the half wore on, the visitors then took the lead in the 66th min when a poor ball from Dean Kindlan set up Maryhill on the left and they took full advantage to take the lead at 2-1, this was quickly followed by a 3rd goal in 70 mins as Carluke allowed them through on goal with very little in the way of challenges.

Things went from bad to worse in the 85th min when Stark gave away a penalty and saw a red card too as he picked up his second caution of the match. The only consolation for Rovers was that keeper Gavin McLachlan pulled off an excellent save to keep the score at 3-1.