Central District First Division
Sat 19 March 2016
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

20160319_0001Carluke got off to the worst possible start to this home league match with the loss of a penalty scored by Burgh’s Hardie after only 3 mins.

The home side did however draw level in the 9th min when a Mark Haddow shot on goal was blocked with Chick McCole putting in a great cross for Ian Watt to head home for 1-1.

Carluke grew in confidence after this goal and put together some good football with Liam Thomson, Ryan Smillie and Watt linking up well in the 20th min before Thomsons effort was cleared off the Burgh line.

Jonny Wilson was next to set up a chance for Carluke when he played a good ball to Watt and after good close control Watt was unlucky to see his effort go just wide.

Rovers best chance to get in front came in the 29th min when Smillie and Watt again linked up before the ball fell to McCole but his net bound effort hit the unfortunate Thomson before going wide for a goal kick to Johnstone Burgh.

20160319_0002The last part of the first half saw the visitors have a couple of chances when Brown saw a header go o
ver the bar after a corner then Perrie brought out a good save from Jonny Grier in the Rovers goal to give a half time score of Carluke Rovers 1v 1 Johnstone Burgh.
Carluke had another slow start to the second half with Thomson having to clear a Burgh effort off his line before they made their own first chance with an effort from Smillie that went wide after good build up play through the midfield.

Rovers produced their best chances of the match from this point when first McCole saw a header go over the bar from a corner then a Watt free kick went across goal before going wide, Watt was again involved after 59 mins when he cut in from the left before hitting a low shot just wide of target.

Again these misses proved costly when Rovers lost a goal in the 60th min from a corner when the ball fell kindly to Brown who fired home a deflected effort to put the visitors 2-1 in front.

20160319_0003Rovers best chance to get level for a second time in the match came from another corner but Haddoes header was well saved by the Burgh keeper.

The final score of the match came in the 76th min when a poor clearance from the Rovers defence allowed Johnstone to attack down the right and a good strike from Fitzharris beat Grier for a final score of Carluke Rovers 1 v 3 Johnstone Burgh

Carluke Team.
Grier, Bellew, Lowdon, Burns, Wilson, McCole, McGoldrick(Stark), Thomson(Arnott), Haddow, Smille, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin


Photos by John McLachlan