Central District First Division
Sat 11 January 2014
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

In what proved to be an entertaining match for the healthy home crowd the spoils were eventually shared although the three points could have gone either way.
Bellshill pushed Carluke back early on especially on the left and from a ball in from that side they had a good claim for a penalty after 7 mins when the ball appeared to strike the hand of Davy Gray but no award was given.

Carluke played their part in attacking to and in the 10th min a free kick in from the right was headed past the post by Mark Haddow, the same player showed strength in the challenge a couple of minutes later when he won possession in the midfield before setting Ian Watt free on the right but the cross from Watt was headed past the post by comeback man Stuart Arnott.

Carluke were in control of match at this point as they chased the opening goal and more good work on the right produced another good cross from Watt but this time it was Gordonn Murphy who saw his header go just wide off the target.

The best chance of this spell of pressure came in the 20th min when a free kick from thee left was played in and eventually dropped for Arnott but under pressure from the Bellshill defence and keeper his effort was chipped just over the bar.

As the home side continued with the pressure on the visitors goal they set up another good move down the left after possession had been won in midfield and Arnott showed all his strength to hold the ball up in the corner before laying it off to Watt who in turn fed the advancing Murphy who drilled the ball low in to the corner of the net to give the home side the lead at 1-0 after 27 mins.

The last chance of the half again fell to the home side in the 45th min when Watt put the ball across goal but there were no takers and the half time score was Carluke Rovers 1 v 0 Bellshill Athletic.

Carluke started the second half well and good work from Watt on the left saw him cut inside before he hit a low shot that was well saved in 48 mins then the same player forced a corner a couple of minutes later which he played in for Craig Stark to have a half chance on goal before the loose ball fell towards Gray but he could not get a clean contact and the chance was lost.

Bellshill eventually started to get a foothold in the match and pressed Rovers back with a chance coming from the left in the 60th min but the ball was blazed over the bar, this was quickly followed by a low cross from the right which looked as if it only needed to be driven in to an empty net but somehow Andy Barr managed to clear the ball on the line with all in the ground expecting a goal.

Carluke looked as if they had contained the best Bellshill had to offer and in the 85th min a great ball from Gregg Cavanagh set the impressive Dean Kindlan on a great run from the half way line that saw him shrug off challenges as he headed for goal before letting fly with an excellent effort that smacked the face of the bar before being cleared, this would have seen the match out for Rovers but instead Bellshill broke down the right and a hopeful ball in from the right caught out the Rovers defence before a looping header ended in the net for a 1-1 scoreline.

Both sides made half chances in the remaining minutes but none were taken and a draw was the result of the day that saw thee positions at the top of the league remain unchanged with Rovers leading Bellshill by one point.