Central District First Division
Sat 14 December 2013
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

After one of the worst ever decisions by a referee to put this match on despite the protests of both teams it was testimony to the players that there was any football played at all, there looked as if there would be very little good fare for the hardy bunch of drenched supporters but the score line proved it different.

Carluke took the game to Benburb early on playing down the slope that would prove to be a big factor in the match and after 3 mins Ian Watt set up a chance for Dan Napier but the home keeper brought off a good save before spilling the ball as Stephen Ferguson raced in but his effort from the slip somehow went wide of the post.

Watt himself was next to have an effort on goal when he was set up by Mark Weir but his shot came back off the bar before being cleared.

The first goal was not too far away however as a Weir flick in to the path of Ferguson saw the big striker drive a left foot shot in to the net for 1-0 to the visitors, this lead was doubled soon after in the 17th min when a free kick was awarded to Carluke on the left and Watt put in an excellent shot that flew past the home keeper for 2-0.

Chances were made and squandered by both sides on the run up to half time as the score stayed at 2-0 to the visitors.

The second half saw an explosive start to it with Bens getting a goal back in the 46th min to put the pressure right on Carluke and it took a good save from Craig Brown in the Rovers goal to stop them drawing level a minute later.

From this Rovers broke upfield and a good cross from Watt found Napier who finished high in to the net to restore Rovers two goal cushion at 3-1.

The conditions deteriorated continually as the game wore on and the ball continually stuck in both mud and water making it less and less of a spectacle for the fans but it was the home Bens who got the better of these conditions as the launched a long ball assault on the Rovers at every turn

The second home goal came in the 84th min when a high ball in to the Rovers goal was not dealt with and a tap in at the back post made it 3-2 to Rovers.

As the game drew to a close Rovers were mopping up all of the long throws and high balls in to their box but in the 3rd min of injury time Mark Haddow was guilty of an infringement in the penalty area and a penalty was awarded to the home side which was converted with the last kick of the ball for 3-3 as even the light left the ground making it almost impossible for anyone to see what was happening.