Central District First Division
Sat 14 February 2015
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

Benburb reversed this fixture in the hope of a repeat of the hammering they gave Rovers at the end of November but Carluke themselves dished out a thumping of their own as they recorder a 4th league win in a row.

Rovers started well and gained a free kick 25 yards out in the 9th min when Gordon Murphy was upended and Mark Weir made no mistake with a low left foot shot that beat the Bens keeper all ends up to give Rovers a 1-0 lead.

After this goal Bens penned Carluke back a bit as they chased the equaliser and enjoyed a good spell of possession but could not get a goal.

Rovers pulled themselves back in to the match and good link up play between Ian Watt and Ryan Smillie ended with a snap shot from Smillie that was well saved.

Carluke were getting well on top of the match as the half wore on with Murphy and Weir combining to set Watt up only yards from goal but somehow the chance was lost.

The returning Jamie Dickson was next to be involved when he set dean Kindlan free and he in turn put the ball in to the path of Weir but his thunderous shot went in to the side netting.

In the 33rd min Rovers got the second goal their pressure deserved when Weir played to Murphy on the left and his excellent cross found Watt who shot home for 2-0, Carluke tried to increase this lead to give them a cushion at half time but a good save from the Bens keeper from Smillie and the denial of what looked to be a stone wall penalty when Watt was brought down meant the score stood at half time as Beenburb FC 0 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half was very slow to start and it was Bens who had the first chance in 60 mins when a deflected shot saw Jonny Grier in the Rovers goal at full stretch to turn the ball away for a corner.

Chances were few and far between as the half went on and Weir saw another free kick tipped over the bar by the Bens keeper as Rovers tried for a 3rd goal.

Bens had another effort on goal in the 74th min but again Grier was on hand with a comfortable save for the cameras as he kept his goal intact.

The game livened up for Rovers as it entered the final ten minutes with Murphy seeing a 30 yard shot, after a loose ball reached him, saved by the Bens keeper before a break down the left saw Watt send strike partner Smillie free and he cut in to the Bens area before firing home from a tight angle for 3-0 in 83 mins.

Smillie and Watt then linked up well to give Murphy an opening but the chance was again lost before Smillie was dragged down in the penalty area but again no award was given.

The scoring was rounded off in the final minute when Daniel Kindlan pressed on the right and after his initial shot was blocked he forced the loose ball over the line for a final 4th goal for Carluke.

Carluke team.
Grier, Souter, Murray, Gow, Haddow, Dickson, Dean KIndlan, Murphy, Weir, Watt, Smillie.
Subs Dan Kindlan for Dean Kindlan, Wilson for Dickson and Cavanagh for Murphy