New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup
Sat 18 October 2014
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Rovers travelled to Ayrshire to face Super Premier League outfit Beith and gave them a good match before going down by the narrowest of margins.

Carluke started well playing down the big slope on Beith’s park and got their first chance in 5 mins when Ian Watt won a free kick on the right which he put in to the box only for Stevie Murray to head over the bar, this was quickly followed by them winning a corner which eventually fell to Dan Napier but his shot also went over the bar.

Rovers continued to press the home side as the half wore on and Dean Kindlan had a couple blocked in the 13th min before the ball fell to his younger brother Daniel who worked his way in to the box before being brought down as he was about to shoot but no penalty was given.

In 19 mins Beith showed how dangerous they could be when they broke down the right but the final low cross went just past the far post with no takers.

The next chance in the match again fell to Rovers when a Gary Gow free kick found Dan Kindlan at the back post but his header was saved.

The home side had a good spell from the midway point of the first half but their pressure did not produce any real threat to the Rovers goal.

The latter part of the first half saw the visiting Carluke side grow in confidence with a Daniel Kindlan run ending with a shot saved by the home keeper, then Ryan Smillie won a free kick on the right that was well worked by Gordon Murphy and Watt but Watt’s low shot across goal went wide of the far post.

The deadlock was broken in the 45th minute when Smillie chased what looked to be a lost cause to force a Rovers corner which was put in to the danger area by Watt where Murray was first to react to stab the ball home for 1-0 to the visitors, a lead they held until half time.

The second half got off to an explosive start when Smillie was pulled back by the Beith centre half who received a second caution for this and was sent off in the 46th min.

This was not the set back to the home side that might have been expected and they pressed Rovers back at times with Jonny Grier in the Rovers goal having to pull off a good save from a header in the 48th min and a minute later they were on level terms when a long ball to the left was met by a late run and an excellent chip over Grier ended in the net for 1-1.

Beith then had a good spell of pressure as they pinned the Roves back but they could not take advantage of the pressure and the scores stayed level.

Rovers continued to create chances when they could and after a free kick in the 56th min Dan Kindlan was unlucky to see his shot go wide of the post, then Murphy set Watt free on the right but the strikers shot was well saved by the home keeper.

Beith were awarded a free kick in the 60th min which looked to be going wide of the target but a cruel deflection off the Rovers wall saw the ball loop over Grier for a fortunate second goal to the home side to make the score 2-1.
Grier was on hand in the 68th min with a good save to prevent the home side increasing their lead then they had the ball in the net in the 82nd min but the effort was ruled out for off-side.

Rovers by now were limited to breaking when they could but they did not threaten the home goal and the match finished with a 2-1 score to Beith.