Central District First Division
Mon 9 May 2016
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Carluke Rovers were forced to play a much changed side for this vitally important league match with a full new defence being played.

The visitors from Carluke put in as good a performance as they have in the last few weeks but a mix of poor discipline and poor refereeing left them frustrated at the end of an ill tempered match.

The first real chance of the match fell to Carluke when Mark Haddows strong play allowed Ian Watt free and his good ball to Ryan Smillie saw him have a shot on goal which was tipped on to the post by the home keeper before falling towards Darren Hamilton but his effort was turned over the bar for a corner, theis corner ended with a header from Craig Stark that was cleared off the line to end a good spell of Rovers pressure.

The visitors continued to have the better of the pressure and Jamie Dickson again set Smillie free but his low cut back was cleared by a grateful United defence.

This proved to Dicksons last action of the match as he was brought down by a horror challenge in 35 mins which only resulted in a yellow card much to the surprise of both players and management of Carluke and Dickson was carried off the park and replaced by Lewis McDougall.

As half time approached Carluke continued to press their hosts back and looked for a penalty when Hamilton was impeded in the box but only a corner was given, this was headed home by Haddow but inexplicably this was ruled out by a referee proving to be well out of his depth for a foul committed in the build up.

On the stroke of half time Watt produced a bit of magic for the visitors when he skipped past a couple of defenders as he cut in to the Thorniewood box but his final shot was just wide of the target.

Half time Thorniewood United 0 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke started the second half as they ended the first by creating another good chance when McDougall released Watt and his lay off allowed Mark Weir a shot on goal but this hit Haamilton before ending in the home keepers arms.

Rovers were pushing their hosts back at every opportunity and fashioned a great chance in the 51st min when good work from Watt ended with a ball in to Smillie but his strike partners effort struck the post before being cleared.

Weir had the next effort for Carluke but his 30 yard free kick slipped just past the post in 56 mins before the home side showed they were not to be taken lightly as they broke on the right but the end shot went harmlessly across Gordon Bruces Carluke goal.

Thorniewood pressed Carluke back for spells and it took a couple of good cut outs from Bruce to keep the scores level before the best chance of the match fell to Uniteds Chris Lennon who was clean through on goal with only Bruce to beat but the veteran keeper saved well at the expense of a corner.

Rovers next chance came in 74 mins when Smillie and Hamilton combined to set up Watt for a shot but again this was deflected on to the post before going for a corner, the resultant corner was swung in by Watt but just scraped the home bar before going over.

The opening goal of the match came in the 79th min when another good run on the right by Watt ended with a lay off in to Smillie who crashed the ball home for 1-0 to Carluke a goal met by great cheers from the visiting support.

Carluke were again left stunned by another refereeing decision in the 81st min when Smillie played a ball in to the Thorrniewood area that was played by both hands of their defender before being cleared, a decision that infuriated the visiting side, this fury was made even worse when they saw Lennon score an equalising goal on 81 mins with the visiting defence looking for off side.

Scott Burns was ordered off for his protests at this decision and he was soon joined by Craig Stark who was also sent off for protesting too much to the young ref.

Probably the strongest shout for a penalty for Carluke came in the 86th min when Hamilton was dragged to the ground in the Utd area but not surprisingly none was given, again this decision was made even worse for Rovers when their defence backed off Thorniewoods danger man Lennon in the 88th min and he was allowed to strike home a wonder winning goal for the home side from all of 30 yards for 2-1.

The humiliation was completed for Carluke in the aftermath of this goal when they had Weir also ordered off meaning they ended the match with only eight players.

Carluke Team.
Bruce, Lowdon, Burns, Wilson, Dickson(McDougall), Haddow, Stark, Watt, Weir, Hamilton, Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin