Carluke Rovers FC v Lesmahagow Juniors FC

WOSFL - Division Three
Sat 25 March 2023
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Following last week’s hard fought draw against Girvan Carluke Rovers welcomed local rivals Lesmahagow to the John Cumming Stadium for this West of Scotland League clash. The ‘Gow are sitting near the top of the Division so this was going to be a difficult match but The Rovers have steadily being improving over the season and a good match was expected. Carluke were without the suspended Greg Miller but welcomed new signing Ayden McCormack into the starting 11.

The game kicked off and there was nothing in the early exchanges but as the half wore on Lesmahagow started to enjoy a bit more territory without really threatening until the 18th minute. Dean Wilson, in the Carluke goal however managed to tip a shot from the edge of the box round his post.

In the 25th minute Carluke got a free kick on the left hand side inside the Lesmahagow half. It was drilled in low and first to react was Connor McKenzie who side footed the ball into the bottom corner at the front post to give Carluke the lead. 1-0. This goal lifted Carluke and 3 minutes later they were awarded a penalty. It was that man McCormack again who turned well just outside the box and shot at goal. The ball was stopped by the outstretched arm of a Gow defender and the Referee pointed to the spot. In the ensuing confrontation with the Ref a Gow player was shown the red card for dissent. This coupled with McKenzie sending the Keeper the wrong way for his second goal making the score 2-0 put Rovers in a very strong position after half an hour.

However just as Carluke were looking as if they were in control of the game a lapse in concentration allowed Lesmahagow to pull a goal back. A corner was flighted in and was met at the backpost by the head of Lesmahagow’s No6. 2-1.

This goal breathed new life into Lesmahagow and they came back into it the half but it ended with the game still in the balance at 2-1 to Carluke.

The second half started and it was Carluke who were to threaten first. In the 48th minute Connor McKenzie slid the ball into Josh McGill whose shot flew over the bar. There was a further couple of efforts from Carluke by Dom Small and Josh McGill but Carluke could not find that third goal which would have settled the game.

Carluke were forced to make a couple of substitutions with man of the match Michael Cookman having to go off in midfield and this seemed to give Lesmahagow a bit more of a foothold in the game. It was only a good save by the feet of Dean Wilson that prevented an equliser in the 77th minute. However Lesmahagow were to get their goal when a throw in into the box was picked up by a Gow midfielder who backed in towards the goal. He managed to turn and his shot went just over the line at the far post. A cruel blow for Carluke but great excitement in the ranks of Lesmahagow’s healthy support.

However as Lesmahagow threw bodies forward in search of a winner Carluke were finding more openings and in the 86th minute they got the winner. A ball was flighted from the left side at the half way line to the unmarked Christy Lawlor on the right wing. The club’s top scorer ran the ball in and coolly picked his spot in the bottom corner to make the score 3-2 to Carluke and end Lesmahagow’ fight. This was a result that Carluke thoroughly deserved and next week they travel to play Royal Albert in Stonehouse in the hope to make it seven points out of a possible nine by winning back to back.

Match Report by Stevie Kane


Westcoast Storage and Removal Limited
Rovers Man of the Match
Michael Cookman


Photography by Kevin Ramage