Carluke Rovers FC v Royal Albert FC

WOSFL - Division Three
Sat 24 September 2022
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Carluke were entertaining local rivals Royal Albert in this West of Scotland league fixture at the John Cumming Stadium. Victory for Carluke would peg them back to within 3 points of their rivals.

Carluke fielded 3 trialists for the game and they were all to have a positive impact on the outcome. The game got underway in bright sunshine and it was Carluke who carved out the first opening. A Carluke freekick was headed clear but only to Greg Kane at the edge of the box whose volley back towards goal went narrowly past the Royal Albert post.

The game was being keenly contested by both sides but in the 20th minute Carluke broke the deadlock. A corner from the right was met flush by the head of Gregg Miller and the ball was bulleted into the net.
1-0 to Carluke.

However within 5 minutes Royal Albert had equalised. Another comer broke out to the edge of the Carluke box landing at the feet of the Albert No8. His shot went through a ruck of playas and nestled in the bottom of the Carluke net making it 1-1.

It was disappointing for the home side that they hadn’t held the lead for longer but that was all forgotten in the 38th minute when Christy Lawlor beat the offside trap and ran in on goal, shooting past the onrushing Albert keeper to make the halftime score 2-1 to Carluke.

The second half started with Royal Albert determined to get back into the game and they had a little more urgency in their play.

However their equaliser was very fortunate. They were awarded a free kick just inside the Carluke half. The ball was flighted into the box and eluded everyone including Josh McGill in the Carluke goal finding it’s way into the net to make it 2-2.

The game settled into a pattern at this stage with each side cancelling each other out but in the last 15 minutes Carluke started to take control and created several good chances.

The first couple fell to new striker Josh Bell. His first effort struck the side netting after he cut inside from the left.

Then a cross to the back post was cut back by Christy Lawlor to Bell. He got the ball with his back to goal, found some space and turned but his resulting shot just went wide of the post.

A minute later in the 86th minute it was the turn of Greg Kane to carve out an opening but his resultant effort went over the bar.

However with the final whistle approaching Carluke got a throw in on the left. Quick thinking at the throw in by Christy Lawlor launched the ball into the Royal Albert box and Jamie Murphy managed to get a glancing header on the ball and sent it into the bottom corner to make the score 3-2.

Wild celebrations ensued and a sense of relief was felt around the stadium as there was only about one minute of injury time left.

However in the 95th minute and with the last kick of the game Royal Albert hit the inside of the Carluke post when it was easier to score. The Carluke goal survived however and it would have been harsh on Carluke as they deserved their win with a final score 3-2 to Carluke Rovers.

Carluke now prepare for a sterner test at home to table topping Kello Rovers next Saturday at the John Cumming Stadium.

Match Report by Stevie Kane


Westcoast Storage and Removal Limited
Rovers Man of the Match
Barry Fraser


Photography by Kevin Ramage