Glasgow United vs Carluke Rovers FC

WOSFL - Conference B
Sat 14 August 2021
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

After playing the top teams in the Division over the past couple of weeks Carluke Rovers were looking to get back on track against the team called Glasgow United but better known, before they changed their name, as Shettleston Juniors.

Carluke got off to a fast start and could have scored in the 1st minute when striker Steven Frame dispossessed the Glasgow centre half but his shot from 20yards whistled past the far post. In the 8th minute it was the turn of Glasgow United to go close when their striker beat the offside trap and rounded Dean Wilson in the Carluke goal but his shot went into the side netting from a tight angle with the goal at his mercy.

The game was evenly matched with no team in the ascendency but United were starting to carve out the better chances. First a shot was tipped over the bar by Wilson in the Carluke goal and this was followed in the 25th minute with the breakthrough. A Carluke defender was dispossessed on the touchline near the corner flag. The ball was cut back to Matthew McLevy who turned with his back to goal and slotted the ball past Wilson in the Carluke goal to make the score 1-0 to Glasgow United. This goal was disappointing for Carluke to lose and they nearly fell further behind when a corner was met at the backpost by the Glasgow centre half but he headed wide when it looked easier to score. This was the last action of the first half and Glasgow United went in leading 1-0.

Carluke started the second half in determined style eager to get the equaliser but it was Glasgow who nearly profited from a defensive mistake at fullback. Carluke were dispossessed and a firm strike was net bound when Connor Jamieson running back towards his own goal managed to get an outstretched foot to it to divert it from going in. A great interception. However it was to be another error just outside the box. When in possession Carluke had a pass intercepted by Glasgow United and the ball was slipped through to Conor Woodhouse who had no difficulty in slotting the ball past Dean Wilson in the Carluke goal. 2-0. This was a body blow for Carluke who were working hard and enjoying the bulk of the possession.

Carluke dusted themselves down and continued to search for the goal that would get them back into the match and it came in the 62nd minute. A short free kick was taken into Jonny Wilson who laid it back to Dillon Duddy who cut inside beating his man on the way and fired in a left foot shot just inside the post leaving the United Keeper stranded. 2-1.

At this stage of the game Carluke were on top, controlling possession without creating too many clear cut chances. However they received a further body blow when a Glasgow United player was brought down in the box for what seemed a very soft penalty bearing in mind the Referee could have given one at the other end 5 minutes earlier for Carluke in what looked like a more cast iron case.

Up stepped Jordan McGrotty to send the Keeper the wrong way to make the score 3-1 for Glasgow United. Carluke continued to fight to the end and forced the Glasgow Keeper into 2 excellent saves. One a flashing header from Jonny Wilson that he got a hand to and then in 87th minute a good turn and shot by a Carluke trialist was saved by his feet. It was to no avail though and Glasgow United were to hold on to collect the points with a 3-1 victory.

Carluke now welcome Ashfield this Wednesday at the John Cumming Stadium with an 8:30pm kickoff hoping that they can get back to winning ways.

Match Report by Stevie Kane


Photography by Kevin Ramage