Carluke Rovers FC v Newmains Utd FC

WOSFL - Conference B
Tue 12 October 2021
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Following the previous weekends disappointing result away to Cambuslang Rangers, Carluke Rovers would be expecting to go out and pick up some points as the next 2 matches were against lower teams in the league who had been struggling a bit themselves.

The visitors to the John Cumming Stadium were local rivals Newmains United who would be on a high following their respectable 4-4 draw away to Greenock Juniors.

Carluke suffered a big blow early on this match as striker Steven Frame hobbled off following a 50/50 tackle with the Newmains defender, the bad news going forward is Steven could be out for at least 6 weeks with ligament damage in his ankle.

Both teams probed away at each other without any clear cut chances but the deadlock was broken in 17 minutes. A Newmains corner from the right was cleared off the line by Greg Kane only for his clearance to fall to Newmains number 7 who scored from close range.

Newmains were unlucky not to go 2 ahead in the 30th minutes as a 25 yard free-kick rebounded off the Rovers post with Dean Wilson rooted to the spot.

Carluke came close in the 40th minute, a Rovers corner going just wide of the post from a Scott Crone header.

Again in 41 minutes the Rovers had a great chance to pull level as Dillon Daily went through on the keeper but Newmains remained defiant as the keeper closed down the angle and blocked the Rovers shot.

Newmains went into the break with a slender 1-0 lead.

Carluke picked up the pace in the 2nd half and were having decent luck down the right hand side with the pace of James Frame.

However, 58 minutes in Newmains doubled their lead as a cross into box broke to the edge and was met by Newmains No 6 who lashed it into the back of the net to make it 2-0

A Carluke corner in 62 minutes reached the back of the 6 yard box post and was met by the head of an unmarked Dougie Frame who powered home to pull one back for Carluke

75 minutes in Newmains were reduced to 10 men as their veteran striker Jarvie, was booked for a dive and this was closely followed by another yellow due to his protestations with the referee.

Carluke couldn’t take advantage of the numerical difference and Newmains held on for a 2-1 victory.

A poor result for the Rovers, they now had to pick themselves up for Saturdays visitors Dalry Thistle whom they narrowly beat away recently.

Photography by Kevin Ramage