Carluke Rovers FC v Girvan FC

WOSFL - Division Three
Sat 3 December 2022
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report

Today it was the turn of Girvan FC to visit the John Cumming Stadium for this West of Scotland League match. This was a game Carluke felt they had to win to get their league form back on track. However it was the same for Girvan who were also keen to climb away from the relegation zone.

The game kicked off and it was fairly even for the first 10 minutes with neither keeper really called into action but as the game went on Carluke grew into the match and started to play some entertaining football and looked comfortable on the ball. It was therefore no surprise when Carluke took the lead in the 20th minute. Josh Bell picked up the ball on the right wing and cut inside along the 18 yard box before slipping the ball to Christy Lawlor. Lawlor took one touch and hit a shot which was deflected over the Keeper’s head and into the Girvan net. 1-0 to Carluke.

This goal spurred the home team on and they continued to press the Girvan defence. It wasn’t therefore long before Carluke extended their lead. Joshua bell, who had looked lively from the start of the match, beat his man on the right wing giving himself the opportunity to shoot. Although the Girvan Keeper got a touch on the ball he was unable to keep it out and Carluke doubled their lead. 2-0.

It was not quite one way traffic and Girvan went close in the 28th minute when the ball was cut back to the Girvan No9 but his shot was too direct and was easily collected by Josh McGill in the Rovers goal. Then in the 30th minute Girvan got a corner o the right. The ball was floated in and found the head of Girvan’s No8 but his header was cleared off the line by a Carluke defender.

Girvan were trying to get a goal back before half time to reduce the deficit but it was to be Carluke who were to extend their lead in the 35th minute. They got a corner on the left which was taken by Christy Lawlor. He swung the ball in and remarkably it went straight into the back of the Girvan net without anyone in the box touching it. 3-0 to Carluke

Three up and cruising Carluke just wanted to hear the halftime whistle but Girvan knew that a goal before halftime would at least give them a fighting chance in the second half and they nearly got one but a brilliant save by Josh McGill from a volley hit by Girvan No9 enabled Carluke to go in at halftime 3-0 to the good.

The second half started with what looked like a similar pattern to the first with Carluke not being particularly threatened. However the game turned on it’s head in the in the 50th minute when a long ball was sent through the middle towards the Carluke goal. The Girvan No9 got the better of the Carluke defender and hit a shot from 20 yards into the roof of the net giving McGill in the Carluke goal no chance. 3-1.

This goal injected new life into Girvan and coupled with the coming on of their big No19 to compete aerially changed the dynamics of the tie. Carluke did not panic at this stage and should have extended their lead in the 53rd minute when the ball fell to Christy Lawlor but he only managed to lift it over the bar when an effort on target would have restored Carluke’s 3 goal advantage. Disastrously for Carluke within a minute of this miss Girvan had reduced the deficit still further. A ball again through the middle found Girvan’s striker and he managed to wriggle free and shoot into the bottom corner. 3-2.

This was now very nervy for Carluke but they managed to regain their composure and for the next 15 minutes things settled down with a couple of half chances for either side. However in the 72nd minute the Girvan comeback was complete. An effort from 20 yards was saved by Joh McGill in the Carluke goal but he could only parry the shot and the ball landed at the feet of Girvan No19 unmarked in the 6 yard box and had the easiest of chances to poke it into the empty net to complete the comeback. 3-3.

Carluke were stunned at this stage and although it was always an even second half it was basic errors that had cost Carluke dearly. This was compounded in the 78th minute when Girvan miraculously got the winner. Again it was a long ball that Carluke did not clear and Girvan No10 ran onto the ball and fired a low shot into the Carluke net to put the visitors in front for the first time. 3-4 to Girvan.

Although Carluke went in search for the equaliser the best they could create were a couple of half chances which couldn’t be converted. The final whistle finally came with Girvan celebrating an incredible comeback to win the game 3-4.

This was a gutting day for the Rovers players and management but they can take heart from the fact it was a game they could and should have won. They continue to improve and when they start to show better game management and cut out some of the errors that have cost them goals then they will start to climb the league.

Next Saturday 10th December Carluke are at home where they welcome another team from Ayrshire in the shape of Lugar Boswell with a 1:30pm kickoff.

Match Report by Stevie Kane



Westcoast Storage and Removal Limited
Rovers Man of the Match
Greg Kane


Photography by Kevin Ramage