Central District First Division
Sat 20 September 2014
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

Despite scoring three good goals again Rovers could not steal a first victory of the season in Glasgow.

Rovers started the match well with Greg Cavanagh creating their first chance inside 2 mins when caught on to a poor ball before bearing down on the Ashfield goal but his shot was weak and easily saved, this was followed by an Ian Watt break but his shot was past the post.

Ashfield showed their threat in 12 mins when they won a corner but the header from the spot kick was dealt with by Stewart Thomson in the Rovers goal.

Cavanagh set up the next chance for Rovers when he won the ball on the right before feeding Watt inside the Ashfield box but again the finishing shot was weak and easily saved.

The home side took the lead against the run of play in the 17th min when Wullie Souter gave away a free kick just outside the box against the home sides danger man in midfield and their centre forward put a great effort inside Thomsons right post for 1-0.

The match was devoid of chances created or taken for a while after this until in the 39th min Souter won the ball on the left before driving forward and setting Mark Weir free on the left and his chip shot from wide left deceived the home keeper before ending in the net for 1-1.

Rovers had a wee chance to steal the lead before half time when Weir set Watt free from a free kick but his shot was saved and the half ended at 1-1.

Rovers took an early lead in the second half with a well worked goal when Craig Stewart played Cavanagh in and his lay off to Watt saw the progress down the right before putting a fantastic ball to the far post for the inrushing Weir to hammer home a great second goal for the visiting Rovers to put them 2-1 up.

This lead was increased in the 54th min with a fantastic goal set up by Weir from the left with a pinpoint
50 yard cross field pass that Watt allowed to drop over his shoulder before sending an excellent volley in to the corner of the Ashfield net for 3-1 to the Rovers.

The 58th min saw Carluke look to extend this lead even further with another good move involving Cavanagh, Watt and Gordon Murphy who set Weir free down the left but his excellent cut back was cleared by the Ashfield defence.

Rovers were pegged back to 3-2 in the 66th min when Ashfield played a long ball forward which was controlled well by their No 8 who showed good strength before hitting a low shot in to the left corner of the net.

The same player caused more problems for Carluke’s defence in the 72nd min when he hit a shot off the post that was picked up by his left back who crashed a shot in off the bar to make the score 3-3.

Rovers were limited to a couple of weak chances as the match wore down to a close when a Souter free kick was headed in to the home keepers hands by Stevie Murray then in the last minute of stoppage time Dean Kindlan saw a shot go wide of the post after another free kick.

This has got to go down as two points dropped by Rovers after they fought hard to get in front in this match and their search for a first win in the league continues.