Lesmahagow Juniors FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Clydesdale Cup
Tue 24 July 2012
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

In what was effectively both sides first competitive match of the season the Carluke side came out on top probably slightly better than the scoreline suggests. Carluke dominated the early stages with an Ian Cook effort being the first chance of the match but this was not taken, closely after this came an effort from Mark Haddow who was set up in front of goal but his effort went high over the bar, with Cook of the home side causing Lesmahagow problems chances continued to be set up for Carluke but still they were not taken by Haddow again and then Mark Weir and JC Savage saw efforts off target. It took until the 23rd minute for Carlukes pressure to bring out a save from the visiting keeper when a well worked midfield move saw Cook shoot on goal but an excellent save kept the scores level at 0-0. New signing Kenny Wright picked up a short free kick in 25 mins but his cross to Craig Stark saw the latter put his effort wide of the post. The first attack of note from TheGow came a minute later but Gavin McLachlan in the home goal saved well to keep things even. As the first half was coming to an end Carluke drew first blood when a corner was swung in from the right and Haddow was at the back post to bundle the ball home for a 1-0 lead to the home side, a lead they took in to the half time break.

The 2nd half was only 14 seconds old when Lesmahagow were back on level terms as Mark Napier in the Carluke defence was sold short and the ball was stolen from him by Kris Jarviewith Tommy Lennox waiting to pounce to tuck a low shot home for 1-1. The Rovers replied in the best way in the 54thmin when Willie Souter was sent free on the left and his low cross was met at the back post by Wright who scored from close range for his first goal for his new club. This was quickly followed by another Wright effort when he was set free in the middle of the park and after rounding the keeper he slotted home from 25 yards for 3-1 to the home side. Carlukecontinued to be the better side and thought they had seen theGow off in the 76th minute when Stark sent a ball down the right that was well “dummied” by Wright only to be picked up by the overlapping Craig Stewart who ‘s cut back was met by that man Wright who rounded of his first hat-trick for his new side with another close range effort to make it 4-1 to the home side. This would have probably been a fair score but aste game wore down poor defending at a free kick awardedmid way in the Carluke half saw Lesmahagow draw back another goal when a low effort from James Coffey beat McLachlan in the home goal after 85 mins to round of the scoring in a highly entertaining match.